Policy analysis in the twenty-first century : complexity, conflict and cases
- Beryl A. Radin.
- New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 172 pages ; 23 cm
- Radin, Beryl A., 1936- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 163-165) and index.
- Chapter 1 - The Development of the Policy Analysis Field
- Chapter 2 - Clients: A Moving Target
- Chapter 3 - The Analyst: Expectations and Constraints
- Chapter 4 - The Policy Environment: Increasing Acknowledgement of Complexity
- Chapter 5 - The Policy Issue Itself
- Chapter 6 - Information and Evidence
- Chapter 7 - Criteria and Values
- Chapter 8 - A Check List
- List of Cases
- List of References
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The field called policy analysis focused originally on the formulation of new policies and was structured to give advice to those in the top reaches of government agencies. Within several decades the field moved beyond the formulation stage of the policy process (creating new policies) to agenda setting, implementation, and evaluation of existing policies. New skill sets emerged and staff were found in many parts of the policy world. Despite these changes, there has been little attention paid to the possible shifts in the relationship between analysts and clients, and students of policy analysis often enter the world of work with little exposure to the situations they might face. Policy Analysis in the Twenty-First Century is designed to familiarize students with the diversity of experiences that they can expect to face in their practitioner role. Author Beryl Radin bases the discussion on case studies that illustrate realities in the current policy analysis environment. Set in very different environments (including both US and international settings), the players in the cases illustrate three different stages of a career (beginning the career, mid-career, and people at the end of their career). The cases are based on realistic situations and demonstrate the volatility and complexity of the decision environments. At the same time, they provide attention to the analysts' personal values and career goals. This book will be required reading for faculty and masters level students in both public management and policy analysis classes. It may also be used in executive programs.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Policy analysis in the 21st century
- 9780367225421 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 0367225425 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 9780367225438 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 0367225433 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9780429278105 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: