Reward and punishment in social dilemmas
- edited by Paul A.M. Van Lange, Bettina Rockenbach, Toshio Yamagishi.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Physical description
- online resource (xiii, 240 pages) : illustrations
- Series in human cooperation
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- When punishment supports cooperation : insights from voluntary contribution experiments / Louis Putterman
- How (and when) reward and punishment promote cooperation : an interdependence theoretical perspective / Daniel Balliet and Paul A.M. van Lange
- Regulating the regulation : norms about punishment / Pontus Strimling and Kimmo Eriksson
- For the common good? The use of sanctions in social dilemmas / Eric van Dijk, Laetitia B. Mulder and Erik W. de Kwaadsteniet
- Promoting cooperation : the distribution of reward and punishment power / Daniele Nosenzo and Martin R. Sefton
- Broadening the motivation to cooperate : revisiting the role of sanctions in social dilemmas / Xiao-Ping Chen, Carolyn T. Dang, and Fong Keng-Highberger
- Leadership, reward and punishment in sequential public goods experiments / Matthias Sutter and M. Fernanda Rivas
- Social decision-making in childhood and adolescence / Eveline A. Crone [and others]
- Why sanction? Functional causes of punishment and reward / Pat Barclay and Toko Kiyonari
- Self-governance through altruistic punishment? / Nikos Nikoforakis
- Beyond kin : cooperation in a tribal society / Pierre Lienard.
- One of the key scientific challenges is the puzzle of human cooperation. Why do people help strangers, even sometimes at a major cost to themselves? Why do people want to punish others who violate norms and undermine collective interests? What are the emotions that accompany reward and punishment? Even if reward and punishment are effective, are they also efficient - knowing that rewards and punishment are costly to administer?
- Publication date
- 9780199300730 (hbk.)
- 0199300739 (hbk.)
- 0199300747 (pbk.)
- 9780199300747 (pbk.)
- 0190221046 (electronic bk.)
- 0199300755 electronic book
- 9780190221041 (electronic bk.)
- 9780199300754 electronic book