Interactive IR user study design, evaluation, and reporting
- Jiqun Liu and Chirag Shah.
- [San Rafael, California] : Morgan & Claypool, 2019.
- Physical description
- 1 PDF (xvii, 75 pages).
- Synthesis digital library of engineering and computer science.
- Synthesis lectures on information concepts, retrieval, and services ; #67.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 63-74).
- Preface Acknowledgments Introduction Interactive Information Retrieval Methodology: Paper Selection and Coding Scheme Faceted Framework of IIR User Studies Evaluating IIR User Studies of Different Types Implications and Limitations of the Faceted Framework Conclusion and Future Directions Appendix Bibliography Authors' Biographies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Since user study design has been widely applied in search interactions and information retrieval (IR) systems evaluation studies, a deep reflection and meta-evaluation of interactive IR (IIR) user studies is critical for sharpening the instruments of IIR research and improving the reliability and validity of the conclusions drawn from IIR user studies.To this end, we developed a faceted framework for supporting user study design, reporting, and evaluation based on a systematic review of the state-of-the-art IIR research papers recently published in several top IR venues (n=462). Within the framework, we identify three major types of research focuses, extract and summarize facet values from specific cases, and highlight the under-reported user study components which may significantly affect the results of research. Then, we employ the faceted framework in evaluating a series of IIR user studies against their respective research questions and explain the roles and impacts of the underlying connections and "collaborations" among different facet values. Through bridging diverse combinations of facet values with the study design decisions made for addressing research problems, the faceted framework can shed light on IIR user study design, reporting, and evaluation practices and help students and young researchers design and assess their own studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Information storage and retrieval systems > Use studies.
- Information services > Use studies.
- Research > Evaluation.
- interactive information retrieval
- user studies
- faceted approach
- controlled laboratory study
- field study
- human-information interaction
- information seeking and retrieval
- user study reporting practice
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Interactive information retrieval user study design, evaluation, and reporting.
- Synthesis lectures on information concepts, retrieval, and services, 1947-9468 ; #67
- Part of: Synthesis digital library of engineering and computer science.
- Abstract freely available; full-text restricted to subscribers or individual document purchasers.
- Google scholar
- Google book search
- Also available in print.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- 9781681735801 electronic
- 9781681735818 hardcover
- 9781681735795 paperback
- 1681735806 (electronic bk.)