Globalization and culture : global mélange
- Jan Nederveen Pieterse.
- Fourth edition.
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vii, 251 pages : map ; 23 cm.
- Globalization (Lanham, Md.)
- Nederveen Pieterse, Jan, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface to the Fourth Edition Acknowledgments Introduction
- 1 What Is Culture? Nation and Culture Culture Sprawl Disentangling Threads of Culture
- 2 Globalization: Consensus and Controversies Consensus Controversies Twenty-First-Century Globalization
- 3 Globalization and Human Integration: We Are All Migrants Globalization as a Deep Historical Process Utopian Visions: Human Unity as a Theme Uneven Globalization We Are All Migrants: Migration and Human Integration
- 4 Globalization and Culture: Three Paradigms Clash of Civilizations McDonaldization Hybridization: Rhizomes of Culture Futures
- 5 Globalization as Hybridization Globalization and Modernity Structural Hybridization Global Melange Politics of Hybridity Post-hybridity? Forward Moves
- 6 Hybridity, So What? The Anti-hybridity Backlash Varieties of Hybridity The Anti-hybridity Backlash Hybridity and the longue duree Different Cultural Takes on Hybridity Patterns of Hybridity So What?
- 7 Globalization Is Braided: East-West Osmosis East-West Islam-West Easternization, Westernization, and Back Again
- 8 Hybrid China Silk Roads New Silk Roads Hybridity with Chinese Characteristics Globalized, Globalizing
- 9 Populism, Globalization, and Culture Meridians of Populism Populism and Globalization Populism and Culture
- 10 Global Melange Bibliography Index About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Now updated with new chapters on culture and populism, Globalization and Culture argues that we are witnessing the formation of a global melange culture through processes of cultural mixing. Its historically deep and geographically wide approach to globalization is essential reading as we face the increasing spread of conflicts bred by cultural misunderstanding.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- "First Edition 2004. Second Edition 2009. Third Edition 2015"--T.p. verso.
- 9781538115220 hardcover alkaline paper
- 1538115220 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9781538115237 paperback alkaline paper
- 1538115239 paperback alkaline paper
Browse related items
Start at call number: