Scenes from Boris Godunov ; Pictures at an exhibition
- Modest Mussorgsky.
- Uniform Title
- Boris Godunov (Rimsky-Korsakov). Selections
- Russian. The 1st work sung in Russian.
- New York : Sony Classical, 
- Physical description
- 1 audio disc (69 min., 58 sec.) : digital, stereo ; 4 3/4 in.
- Partial instrumentation
- Great performances (Sony Classical (Firm))
At the library
- Mussorgsky, Modest Petrovich, 1839-1881.
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Nikolay, 1844-1908. Arranger
- Ravel, Maurice, 1875-1937. Arranger
- London, George, 1920-1985. Performer
- Allen, Mildred. Performer
- Fried, Howard (Tenor) Performer
- Kolk, Stanley, 1935- Performer
- Hebert, Bliss. Conductor
- Schippers, Thomas. Conductor
- Ormandy, Eugene, 1899-1985. Conductor
- Columbia Symphony Chorus. Performer
- Columbia Symphony Orchestra. Performer
- Philadelphia Orchestra. Performer
- Scenes from Boris Godunov. Prologue, scene 2: Da zdravstvuyet Tsar Boris Feodorovich = Long live Tsar Boris Feodorovich! ; Uzh kak na nebe solntsu krasnomu = Even as glory to the radiant sun ; Skorbit dusha! = My soul is torn with anguish! ; Slava! = Glory! ; Boris's monologue from Act II: Dostig ya visshey vlasti = I have attained the highest power ; Dialogue and hallucination scene from Act II: Ty zachem = What do you want? ; Velikii gosudat, chelom byu = Mighty lord-- ; Ne kazen strashna, strashna tvoya nemilost = It is not death that is hard to bear-- ; Uf tyazhelo! = God, how stifling it's become! ; Boris's farewell to his son and death of Boris from Act IV, scene 2: Carevicha skorej! = The Tsarevich, quickly! ; Zvon!-- Pogrebalnyi zvon! = Listen! It's ringing!-- The funeral bell is ringing! / arranged and orchestrated by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (38:45)
- Pictures at an exhibition / orchestrated by Maurice Ravel (31:10).
- Included Work
- Mussorgsky, Modest Petrovich, 1839-1881. Kartinki s vystavki; arranged.
- Release date
- Production date
- Title Variation
- Title on container: Boris Godunov (excerpts) ; Pictures at an exhibition
- Great performances
- The first work excerpts from the version of the opera arranged and orchestrated by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov; the 2nd work originally for piano, orchestrated by Maurice Ravel.
- Originally issued separately as analog discs in 1961 and 1968.
- Compact disc.
- Program notes in English, German and French (25 p. ; ill.) in container.
- In the 1st work; George London, bass ; Mildred Allen, mezzo-soprano ; Howard Fried, Stanley Kolk, tenors ; Columbia Symphony Orchestra and Chorus ; Bliss Hebert, chorus director ; Thomas Schippers, conductor. In the 2nd work: Philadelphia Orchestra ; Eugene Ormandy, conductor.
- Recorded Mar. 23-27, 1961, Manhattan Center, New York (1st work) and Apr. 21 and June 18, 1966, Town Hall, Philadelphia (2nd work).
- Included Work
- Boris Godunov.
- Publisher Number
- 82876-78747-2 Sony Classical
Browse related items
Start at call number: