Kwame Brathwaite : black is beautiful
- texts by Kwame Brathwaite, Tanisha C. Ford, and Deborah Willis.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Aperture, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 143 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
- Includes bibliographical references
- Foreword / by Kwame Brathwaite
- Kwame Brathwaite : black is beautiful / by Tanisha C. Ford
- African Jazz-Art Society
- Think black, buy black
- The Grandassa models
- Black is beautiful, then and now / by Deborah Willis
- In the late 1950s and throughout the 1960s, Kwame Brathwaite used his photography to popularize the political slogan "Black Is Beautiful." This monograph--the first ever dedicated to Brathwaite's remarkable career--tells the story of a key, but under-recognized, figure of the second Harlem Renaissance. Inspired by the writings of activist and black nationalist Marcus Garvey, Brathwaite, along with his older brother, Elombe Brath, founded the African Jazz Arts Society and Studios (AJASS) and the Grandassa Models (1962). AJASS was a collective of artists, playwrights, designers, and dancers; Grandassa Models was a modeling agency for black women, founded to challenge white beauty standards. From stunning studio portraits of the Grandassa Models to behind-the-scenes images of Harlem?s artistic community, including Max Roach, Abbey Lincoln, and Miles Davis, this book offers a long-overdue exploration of Brathwaite's life and work
- Included Work
- Container of: Brathwaite, Kwame, 1938- Photographs. Selections.
- Brathwaite, Kwame, 1938- > Exhibitions.
- Photography, Artistic > Exhibitions.
- African American photographers > Biography > Exhibitions.
- Photographers > United States > Biography > Exhibitions.
- African Americans > Pictorial works > Exhibitions.
- African Americans > Intellectual life > 20th century > Exhibitions.
- African American arts > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century > Sources > Exhibitions.
- Harlem Renaissance > Exhibitions.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Black is beautiful
- Coincides with a touring exhibition of Brathwaite's work May 2019
- 9781597114431 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- 159711443X (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: