Development anthropology : putting culture first
- Hari Mohan Mathur.
- Lanham : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 174 pages ; 24 cm
- Mathur, Hari Mohan, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 153-169) and index.
- Introduction: Culture in the Development Process
- Chapter 1: From Applied Anthropology to Development Anthropology
- Chapter 2: Some Uses of Anthropology
- Chapter 3: Anthropology and Development in India
- Chapter 4: Characteristics of Traditional Societies
- Chapter 5: Social and Cultural Dimensions of Development:
- Chapter 6: Culture can Act as a Brake on Development
- Chapter 7: Culture can Act as a Driver of Development
- Chapter 8: A Socio-Culturally Appropriate Development
- Chapter 9: Implementing a Socio-Culturally Sensitive Development
- Chapter 10: Anthropologists in Development Organizations.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
In Development Anthropology: Putting Culture First, Hari Mohan Mathur highlights the role of culture-and anthropological work more broadly-in development outcomes. Anthropologists' contributions in this area have traditionally received little attention, but this changed when the World Bank released the 2015 World Development Report. This report focused on the social, cultural, and psychological influences which affect the development process, and like Mathur, stressed the criticality of anthropological and other social sciences' knowledge for the success of development efforts. A major contribution to development anthropology, this book will interest anthropologists, economists, sociologists, other social scientists, policy makers, planners, development practitioners, researchers and trainers, and will be particularly useful for graduate students planning their career in the field of development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781498589086 (cloth)
- 1498589081 (cloth)
- 9781498589109 paperback alkaline paper
- 1498589103 paperback alkaline paper
- 9781498589093 electronic publication
Browse related items
Start at call number: