Big data for qualitative research
- Kathy A. Mills.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 77 pages ; 23 cm
- Mills, Kathy, 1974- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1. What is Big Data?
- Chapter 2. Big Data in Historical Context
- Chapter 3. Challenges of Big Data for Qualitative Researchers
- Chapter 4. Potentials of Big Data Analytics for Qualitative Researchers
- Chapter 5. Big Data Ethics, Privacy, and Dataveillance
- Chapter 6. Anticipating Big Data Futures for Qualitative Researchers
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Big Data for Qualitative Research covers everything small data researchers need to know about big data, from the potentials of big data analytics to its methodological and ethical challenges. The data that we generate in everyday life is now digitally mediated, stored, and analyzed by web sites, companies, institutions, and governments. Big data is large volume, rapidly generated, digitally encoded information that is often related to other networked data, and can provide valuable evidence for study of phenomena. This book explores the potentials of qualitative methods and analysis for big data, including text mining, sentiment analysis, information and data visualization, netnography, follow-the-thing methods, mobile research methods, multimodal analysis, and rhythmanalysis. It debates new concerns about ethics, privacy, and dataveillance for big data qualitative researchers. This book is essential reading for those who do qualitative and mixed methods research, and are curious, excited, or even skeptical about big data and what it means for future research. Now is the time for researchers to understand, debate, and envisage the new possibilities and challenges of the rapidly developing and dynamic field of big data from the vantage point of the qualitative researcher.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780367173814 hardcover
- 0367173816 hardcover
- 9780429056413 electronic book
- 9780429509292 electronic publication
- 9780429508677 electronic book
- 9780429509919 Mobipocket electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: