Decolonizing ethnography : undocumented immigrants and new directions in social science
- Carolina Alonso Bejarano, Lucia López Juárez, Mirian A. Mijangos García, Daniel M. Goldstein.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 184 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC191.98 .D44 A46 2019||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 161-177) and index.
- "broken poem" ix Preface xi Acknowledgments xv Introduction
- 1. Colonial Anthropology and Its Alternatives
- 2. Journeys toward Decolonizing
- 3. Reflections on Fieldwork in New Jersey
- 4. Undocumented Activist Theory and a Decolonial Methodology
- 5. Undocumented Theater: Writing and Resistance
- 101 Conclusion
- 136 Notes
- 149 References
- 161 Index 179.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
In August 2011, ethnographers Carolina Alonso Bejarano and Daniel M. Goldstein began a research project on undocumented immigration in the United States by volunteering at a center for migrant workers in New Jersey. Two years later, Lucia Lopez Juarez and Mirian A. Mijangos Garcia-two local immigrant workers from Latin America-joined Alonso Bejarano and Goldstein as research assistants and quickly became equal partners for whom ethnographic practice was inseparable from activism. In Decolonizing Ethnography the four coauthors offer a methodological and theoretical reassessment of social science research, showing how it can function as a vehicle for activism and as a tool for marginalized people to theorize their lives. Tacking between personal narratives, ethnographic field notes, an original bilingual play about workers' rights, and examinations of anthropology as a discipline, the coauthors show how the participation of Mijangos Garcia and Lopez Juarez transformed the project's activist and academic dimensions. In so doing, they offer a guide for those wishing to expand the potential of ethnography to serve as a means for social transformation and decolonization.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781478003625 hardcover alkaline paper
- 1478003626 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9781478003953 paperback alkaline paper
- 1478003952 paperback alkaline paper
Browse related items
Start at call number: