South Pacific : original Broadway cast recording
- Richard Rodgers, music ; Oscar Hammerstein II, lyrics ; [book by Oscar Hammerstein 2nd and Joshua Logan, adapted from James A. Michener's Tales of the South Pacific].
- digital; stereo.
- audio file; CD audio.
- New York, NY : Columbia Broadway Masterworks, ℗1998.
- Physical description
- 1 audio disc (65 min.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
At the library
- Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979.
- Hammerstein, Oscar, II, 1895-1960, lyricist, librettist.
- Logan, Joshua, librettist.
- Martin, Mary, 1913-1990, performer.
- Pinza, Ezio, performer.
- Dell'Isola, Salvatore, conductor.
- Engel, Lehman, 1910-1982, conductor.
- Kostelanetz, Andre, 1901-1980, conductor.
- Philadelphia Orchestra. Pops, performer.
- Overture (3:34)
- Dites-moi (1:23)
- A cockeyed optimist (1:43)
- Twin soliloquies (2:26)
- Some enchanted evening (3:01)
- Bloody Mary (2:15)
- There is nothin' like a dame (3:36)
- Bali Ha'i (3:26)
- I'm gonna wash that man right outa my hair (3:27)
- A wonderful guy (3:32)
- Younger than springtime (3:26)
- Happy talk (3:32)
- Honey bun (2:02)
- You've got to be carefully taught (1:17)
- This nearly was mine (3:28)
- Finale: Dites-moi (reprise) (3:00)
- Loneliness of evening (Mary Martin) (3:20)
- My girl back home (Mary Martin) (2:58)
- Bali Ha'i (Ezio Pinza) (3:13)
- South Pacific : symphonic scenario for concert orchestra (9:48).
- Included Work
- Rodgers, Richard, 1902-1979. South Pacific. Selections; arranged.
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- Originally released May 9, 1949, as ML 4180; track 20 originally released 1952, as CL 806.
- Compact disc.
- Program notes and synopsis by Marc Kirkeby (14 p. : ill.) inserted in container.
- Production Credits
- Produced by Goddard Lieberson.
- Mary Martin, Ezio Pinza, singers ; with supporting performers ; Salvatore Dell'Isola, musical director ; Lehman Engel, conductor (tracks 17-19) ; Philadelphia Orchestra "Pops" ; André Kostelanetz, conductor (track 20).
- Recorded Apr. 18-19, 1949, at Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York City, except tracks 17-18, recorded June 8, 1951, track 19, Oct. 10, 1949, and track 20, Dec. 27, 1951.
- Winner, 1999 Drama Desk Special Recognition Award.
- Related Work
- Michener, James A. (James Albert), 1907-1997. Tales of the South Pacific.
- Publisher Number
- SK 60722 Columbia Broadway Masterworks
- ML 4180 Columbia
- CL 806 Columbia
Browse related items
Start at call number: