An introduction to communication
- Lynn H. Turner (Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin) Richard West (Emerson College, Boston, Massachusetts).
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxi, 302 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 26 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 282-296) and index.
- 1. The communication process--
- 2. Culture and communication--
- 3. Perception, the self, and communication--
- 4. Verbal and nonverbal communication--
- 5. Listening and responding--
- 6. Interpersonal and relational communication--
- 7. Communication in small groups and organizations--
- 8. Social/mass media and communication--
- 9. Preparing and composing speeches--
- 10. Audience analysis and speech delivery.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Prioritizing brevity and clarity, this textbook introduces the study of communication through examples and applications of communication in a variety of contexts. With a unique focus on diversity and the impact of culture, each chapter opens with a case study that identifies a communication challenge, which the chapter addresses throughout, and concludes with questions that respond to that challenge. A consistent, organized structure with numerous features including fundamental issues, questions for understanding and analysis, theoretical insight (examining a particular relevant theory), and a skill set section, easily guides you through the foundations of the study of communication. Cross-referencing between chapters demonstrates the multidimensional nature of communication and the everyday talk sections demonstrate how each topic relates to technology, the workplace, or health issues. Offering a wealth of diverse examples from students' personal, professional, and online lives, this book teaches skills allowing students from all academic backgrounds to understand communication.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781107151048 (hardcover)
- 110715104X (hardcover)
- 9781316606919 (paperback)
- 1316606910 (paperback)
- 9781108216401 (electronic book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: