The turnout gap : race, ethnicity, and political inequality in a diversifying America
- Bernard L. Fraga (Indiana University).
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 274 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Fraga, Bernard L., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 233-259) and index.
- 1. Introduction--
- 2. Race and turnout in historical context--
- 3. Are sociodemographic factors the answer?--
- 4. Electoral influence and the turnout gap--
- 5. The political geography of the turnout gap--
- 6. How electoral districts shape turnout rates--
- 7. Do modern election policies exacerbate the gap?--
- 8. Demographic change and the future of minority turnout-- Appendix.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
In The Turnout Gap, Bernard L. Fraga offers the most comprehensive analysis to date of the causes and consequences of racial and ethnic disparities in voter turnout. Examining voting for Whites, African Americans, Latinos, and Asian Americans from the 1800s to the present, Fraga documents persistent gaps in turnout and shows that elections are increasingly unrepresentative of the wishes of all Americans. These gaps persist not because of socioeconomics or voter suppression, but because minority voters have limited influence in shaping election outcomes. As Fraga demonstrates, voters turn out at higher rates when their votes matter; despite demographic change, in most elections and most places, minorities are less electorally relevant than Whites. The Turnout Gap shows that when politicians engage the minority electorate, the power of the vote can win. However, demography is not destiny. It is up to politicians, parties, and citizens themselves to mobilize the potential of all Americans.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781108475198 (hardback)
- 1108475191 (hardback)
- 9781108465922 (paperback)
- 1108465927 (paperback)
- 9781108638821 (PDF ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: