Fundamental biomaterials : polymers
- Sabu Thomas, Preetha Balakrishnan, Sreekala M.S., editors.
- Duxford, United Kingdom : Woodhead Publishing, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : illustrations (some color).
- Woodhead Publishing series in biomaterials.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Polymeric Biomaterials: state of the art and new challenges
- 2. Polysaccharides as Biomaterials (Cellulose Chitin and chitosan Starch based Biodegradable polymers)
- 3. Natural Rubber as biomaterials
- 4. Silicon Rubber as biomaterials
- 5. Synthetic biodegradable polymers for biomedical application
- 6. Polymeric Nanoparticles for Targeted Delivery of Bioactive Agents and Drugs
- 7. Evolution of Current and Future Concepts of Biocompatibility Testing
- 8. Polymer-Based Colloidal Aggregates as a New Class of Drug Delivery Systems
- 9. Plasma Polymerization and Plasma Modification of Surfaces for Biomaterials Applications
- 10. Smart polymers as Biomaterials
- 11. Polymeric biomaterials for organ regeneration
- 12. Polymeric Micelles as Pharmaceutical Carriers. Polymeric Vesicles
- 13. Natural Polymers as Components of Blends for Biomedical Applications
- 14. Biodegradable Polymeric Composite Scaffolds to Regenerate Bone Tissue
- 15. Textile Based Biomaterials for Surgical Applications
- 16. Polymeric Micro and Nanoparticles as Drug Carriers
- 17. Polymers Scaffolds
- 18. Synthetic Polymeric Membranes: Classification, Preparation, Structure and Transport Mechanisms
- 19. Physicochemical Characteristics of Biopolymers
- 20. In Vivo Biocompatibility Studies: Perspectives on the Evaluation of Biomedical Polymer Biocompatibility
- 21. Applications of Synthetic Polymeric Biomaterials in Medicine and Biotechnology
- 22. Engineering polymers for heart valve replants and for artificial hip joints
- 23. Wear and fatigue behaviour of polymeric biomaterials
- 24. Life cycle analysis of polymeric biomaterials
- 25. Cytotoxicity of polymeric materials.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Fundamental Biomaterials: Polymers provides current information on findings and developments of biopolymers and their conversion from base materials to medical devices. Chapters analyze the types of polymers and discuss a range of biomedical applications. It is the first title in a three volume set, with each reviewing the most important and commonly used classes of biomaterials and providing comprehensive information on classification, materials properties, behavior, biocompatibility and applications. The book concludes with essential information on wear, lifetime prediction and cytotoxicity of biomaterials. This title will be of use to researchers and professionals in development stages, but will also help medical researchers understand and effectively communicate the requirements of a biomaterial for a specific application. Further, with the recent introduction of a number of interdisciplinary bio-related undergraduate and graduate programs, this book will be an appropriate reference volume for large number of students at undergraduate and post graduate levels.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Woodhead Publishing series in biomaterials
- 9780081021958 (electronic bk.)
- 008102195X (electronic bk.)