Creating the V&A : Victoria and Albert's museum (1851-1861)
- Julius Bryant.
- London : Lund Humphries : in association with V&A Publishing, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 176 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
- Includes bibliography (pages 159-161) and index.
Creating the V&A tells the definitive story of the formative years of London's world-renowned Victoria and Albert Museum and the gathering of its early collections in the decade between the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the death of Prince Albert in 1861. The story of the V&A's genesis is often centred on the first director and first curator (Henry Cole and J. C. Robinson), and their competing agendas for design reform and connoisseurship. And yet there is an untold story of how the young royal couple for whom it is named were highly instrumental in the establishment of the museum, as public supporters and large-scale lenders before a permanent collection was in place. The book is also full of fascinating and colourful stories of the strategies deployed to harvest treasures on the market as the young museum sought to fill its rapidly expanding buildings and compete with the British Museum and the Crystal Palace. For anyone interested in the history of collecting and curating, and for all fans of this legendary London museum, Creating the V&A explains how the foundational collections established parameters which still inform the museum's collecting policies, role and identity today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901.
- Albert, Prince Consort, consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1861.
- South Kensington Museum > History.
- Victoria and Albert Museum > History.
- Art > England > London > History.
- Collectors and collecting > Europe > History > 19th century.
- Art museums > England > London > History > 19th century.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Creating the V and A
- Victoria and Albert's museum (1851-1861)
- Black boards with white debossed lettering to spine and illustrated dust jacket.
- Editor: Ian McDonald
- Designed by Nigel Soper
- Typeset in SwiftEF and Scala Sans
- 1848223498 (hardback)
- 9781848223493 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: