Anthropomorphizing the cosmos : Middle Preclassic lowland Maya figurines, ritual, and time
- Prudence M. Rice.
- Louisville : University Press of Colorado, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 284 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Rice, Prudence M., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 227-275) and index.
- Why figurines?
- Ritual, cooperation, costly signaling, and storytelling
- Overview: the human figure in formative Mesoamerica
- The Preclassic Maya lowlands and Central Petén
- Central Petén Preclassic anthropomorphic figurines: the body
- The human head and face in formative Mesoamerica: biological considerations
- Central Petén Preclassic anthropomorphic figurines: heads and faces
- Formative Mesoamerican heads: headgear, headdresses, and hairstyles
- Temporality, the sacred almanac, and writing
- Maya head-variant graphemes
- Summary and overview: Preclassic figurine heads and Classic Maya portrait glyphs
- Sound: musical instruments and zoomorphs
- Geochemistry: compositional analysis of Nixtun-Ch'ich' and Ixlú figurines
- Figurines, "meanings" and contexts
- Anthropomorphizing the cosmos.
- "Exploring the sociocultural significance of approximately three hundred Middle Preclassic Maya figurines uncovered at Nixtun-Ch'ich' on Lake Petén Itzá in northern Guatemala. In this analysis--hand-modeled, terracotta, anthropomorphic fragments, animal figures, and musical instruments. Rice offers a broad swath of theory and comparative data on ritual practice"--Provided by publisher.
- Maya sculpture > Guatemala > Petén (Department)
- Mayas > Guatemala > Petén (Department) > Antiquities.
- Excavations (Archaeology) > Guatemala > Petén (Department)
- Figurines > Guatemala > Petén (Department)
- Rites and ceremonies > Guatemala > Petén (Department) > History > To 1500.
- Nixtun-Ch'ich' Site (Guatemala)
- Petén (Guatemala : Department) > Antiquities.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781607328889 (hardcover)
- 1607328887 (hardcover)
- 9781607328896 (electronic book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: