Speaking of crime : the language of criminal justice
- Lawrence M. Solan and Peter M. Tiersma.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2005.
- Physical description
- x, 289 pages ; 24 cm.
- Chicago series in law and society.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 245-280) and indexes.
- Language and the criminal law
- Linguistics in the law
- "Consensual" searches
- Interrogation, confession, and the right to counsel
- Understanding Miranda
- Exact words
- Who said that?
- Who wrote that?
- Solicitation, conspiracy, bribery
- Where do we go from here?
Why do so many people voluntarily consent to searches by have the police search their person or vehicle when they know that they are carrying contraband or evidence of illegal activity? Does everyone understand the Miranda warning? How well can people recognize a voice on tape? Can linguistic experts identify who wrote an anonymous threatening letter? Speaking of Crime answers these questions and examines the complex role of language within our criminal justice system. Lawrence M. Solan and Peter M. Tiersma compile numerous cases, ranging from the Lindbergh kidnapping to the impeachment trial of Bill Clinton to the JonBen t Ramsey case, that provide real-life examples of how language functions in arrests, investigations, interrogations, confessions, and trials. In a clear and accessible style, Solan and Tiersma show how recent advances in the study of language can aid in understanding how legal problems arise and how they might be solved. With compelling discussions current issues and controversies, this book is a provocative state-of-the-art survey that will be of enormous value to legal scholars and professionals throughout the criminal justice system.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- The Chicago series in law and society
- 0226767922 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 9780226767925 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 0226767930 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 9780226767932 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 9786612738500 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: