African sacred spaces : culture, history, and change
- edited by 'BioDun J. Ogundayo and Julius O. Adekunle.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vi, 261 pages ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1: African Sacred Places in the Americas Kevin Young
- Chapter 2: History and the Sacred: The Royal Tombs of Igboho Julius O. Adekunle
- Chapter 3: Rituals and African Space: Funeral Rites and Intergenerational Transmission of Poverty Donald O. Omagu
- Chapter 4: Sacred Spaces and Ritual Performances in Ejagamland of Cameroon Emmanuel Mbah and Tom Victor Ntui Chapter 5:Masjid: Sacred Space in Nigerian Islam Muhammadu Mustapha Gwadabe and Muhammad Kyari
- Chapter 6: The Metaphysics of Space in Yoruba Traditional Religion 'BioDun J. Ogundayo
- Chapter 7: Sacred Spaces: Mountains in Yoruba Spirituality Enoch Olujide Gbadegesin
- Chapter 8: Tradition and Modernity: The Dynamics of the Management of Osun Sacred Groves Saheed Balogun Amusa
- Chapter 9: African Sacred Groves and Sustainability Fortune Sibanda
- Chapter 10: Space, Art, and Religion in Chango, el gran putas Hawwkayoo N. Zoggyie
- Chapter 11: Islam and Ancient Sacred Places in Hausaland Mukhtar Umar Bunza and Adamu Musa Kotorkoshi
- Chapter 12: Sacred Space and Time in an African University Oluwasegun Aluko.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
African Sacred Spaces: Culture, History, and Change is a collection of carefully and analytically written essays on different aspects of African sacred spaces. The interaction between the past and present points to Africans' continuing recognition of certain natural phenomena and places as sacred. Western influence, the introduction of Christianity and Islam, as well as modernity, have not succeeded in completely obliterating African spirituality and sacred observances, especially as these relate to space in its various iterations. Indeed, Africans, on the continent and in the Diasporas, have responded to the challenges of history, environmentalism, and sustainability with sober and versatile responses in their reverence for sacred space as expressed through a variety of religious, historical, and spiritual practices, as this volume attempts to show.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781498567428 hardcover alkaline paper
- 1498567428 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9781498567435 electronic publication
Browse related items
Start at call number: