Women, Islam, and education in Iran
- edited by Goli M. Rezai-Rashti, Golnar Mehran, and Shirin Abdmolaei.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 162 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Routledge critical studies in gender and sexuality in education.
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC2372 .W65 2019||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Nelly P. Stromquist
- 1. Introduction
- Goli M. Rezai-Rashti
- 2. Female Education in the Islamic Republic of Iran:
- Understanding the Paradox of Tradition and Modernity
- Golnar Mehran & Fariba Adli
- 3. The Voices of Female Students in Iranian Universities:
- The Unintended Consequences of University Education
- Goli M. Rezai-Rashti & Somayeh Fereidouni
- 4. Gender Representations in Iranian School Textbooks
- Saeed Paivandi
- 5. Protecting Men and the State:
- Gender Segregation in Iranian Universities
- Nazanin Shahrokni
- 6. If not for the Revolution: How Higher Education Became an
- "Islamic Right" for Religious Iranian Women
- Alex Shams
- 7. Shi'ite Women's Seminaries in Iran: Possibilities and Limitations
- Keiko Sakurai
- 8. The Education of Iranian Women: A Historical Investigation of
- Education and Unveiling (Kashf e Hijab)
- Faegheh Shirazi.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Drawing on the complexities and nuances in women's education in relation to the aftermath of the 1979 Iranian Revolution, this edited collection examines implications of religious-based policies on gender relations as well as the unanticipated outcomes of increasing participation of women in education. With a focus on the impact of the Islamic Republic's Islamicization endeavor on Iranian society, specifically gender relations and education, this volume offers insight into the paradox of increasing educational opportunities despite discriminatory laws and restrictions that have been imposed on women.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge Critical Studies in Gender and Sexuality in Education
- 9781138236738 hardback
- 113823673X hardback
Browse related items
Start at call number: