- edited by Melodena Stephens, Mona El-Sholkamy, Immanuel Azaad Moonesar, Raed Awamleh.
- First edition.
- Bingley, UK : Emerald Publishing Limited, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 405 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm.
- Actions and insights--Middle East North Africa ; v. 7.
- Balakrishnan, Melodena Stephens, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1. Perspective: Future Disruptive Governments - Catching up with technological advancements & new horizons-- Melodena Stephens and Sheikha Shamma bint Sultan bin Khalifa Al Nahayan with contributions from Christopher M. Schroeder
- Section I. Government Foresight
- Chapter 2. Perspective: UAE Future Government: The Emerging Pillars-- Raed Awamleh
- Chapter 3. Industrie 4.0: From Concept to New Reality-- Asha-Maria Sharma
- Chapter 4. Determinants of Soft Power: The Case of United Arab Emirates-- Fatima Al Zaabi and Raed Awamleh
- Chapter 5. Kickstarting International Entrepreneurship: Start-up Chile Version 3.0-- Melodena Stephens
- Section II. Future Orientation
- Chapter 6. Perspective: Reforming Policies on Refuge for Refugee-- Sheikha Shamma bint Sultan bin Khalifa Al Nahayan and Melodena Stephens
- Chapter 7. Government Innovation & Creativity: A Case of Dubai-- Immanuel Azaad Moonesar, Melodena Stephens, Mark Batey and David J. Hughes
- Chapter 8. Building Blocks for Sustainable Public Private Partnerships in Smart Dubai-- Racquel Warner and Scott Fargher
- Section III. Regulatory Reforms & Strategy
- Chapter 9. Perspective Fiscal Policy Reforms for the Future-- Mona Mostafa El-Sholkamy
- Chapter 10. Electronic Health Record Management: Dubai Health Authority's Project 'Salama'-- Ala'a Atallah Othman and Immanuel Azaad Moonesar
- Chapter 11. Organisational Culture, Leadership and Performance in Dubai Municipality-- Amna Ahmad Al Suwaidi and Mohammad Habibur Rahman
- Chapter 12. The Dubai Statistics Centre: Innovation Management and Business Process Reform-- Mona El-Sholkamy and Tara Fischbach
- Section IV. The Happiness Agenda
- Chapter 13. Perspective: The Digital Economy Will Need Flexible Social Security-- Ville-Veikko Pulkka & Olli Kangas
- Chapter 14. The Knowledge and Human Development Authority: Innovation in Human Resource Management and People's Happiness-- Mona El-Sholkamy and Tara Fischbach
- Chapter 15. Building a Happy City: The Case of Smart Dubai's Happiness-- Lama Zakzak and Fadi Salem
- Chapter 16. Impact of the use of Twitter on social and academic behavior of University Students-- Shaikha Al Jasmi & Raed Awamleh
- Chapter 17. Perspective: Iceland Succeeds at Preventing Teenage Substance Use-- Harvey B. Milkman and Gudberg K. Jonsson
- Section V. The Sharing economy
- Chapter 18. Perspective: The Future of Government: Navigating Legislation in the Sharing Economy-- Mark Esposito
- Chapter 19. Careem: Taking a Local Problem-Solving Approach to the Sharing Economy-- Melodena Stephens
- Chapter 20. Supporting Social Enterprises and Social Entrepreneurship - The C3 Social Impact Assessment Program in 2017-- Guy Burton, Anna-Lisa Goggs and Medea Nocentini.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Governments of today need to be future-oriented. The seismic disruptions in demographics, economic and political upheavals, increasing fragmentation between the haves and have-nots, leap-frog societal transformations, climate change, and technological innovations will be critical drivers impacting the context of how governments operate and function. Public sector organizations must be able to deliver services that are affordable, efficient and effective and can compete with the private sector. Governments must not only work towards safeguarding their people and resources, but take a more extensive look at the increasingly inter-connected world. They must work with the private sector and embrace the citizen who is demanding to be included in the decision-making process. This volume presents a series of case studies of countries, including the UAE, Germany, Estonia, Iceland, Finland, Chile and China, and their experiments with policy under five broad themes: government foresight, future orientation, regulatory reforms & strategy, the happiness agenda and the sharing economy. Each case, written by a leading expert in the field, presents the challenges and opportunities of the future and will provide key insights that will support policy makers, strategists and decision makers in mapping out their plans for tomorrow.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Actions and insights--Middle East North Africa ; volume 7
- 178756360X (hbk.)
- 9781787563605 (hbk.)
- 9781787563599 (PDF ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: