Language, culture, and communication : the meaning of messages
- Nancy Bonvillain.
- Eighth edition.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 479 pages : illustration ; 25 cm
- Bonvillain, Nancy, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface About the Authors
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: The Form of the Message
- Chapter 3: Language and Cultural Meaning
- Chapter 4: Contextual Components: Outline of an Ethnography of Communication
- Chapter 5: Communicative Interactions
- Chapter 6: Digital Communications and Signed Languages
- Chapter 7: Learning Language
- Chapter 8: The Acquisition of Communicate Competence
- Chapter 9: Societal Segmentation and Linguistic Variation: Class and Race
- Chapter 10: Language and Gender
- Chapter 11: Multilingual Nations
- Chapter 12: Multilingual Communities
- Chapter 13: Language and Institutional Encounters Summary References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Language, Culture and Communication, Eight Edition, introduces students to the topics and theories of the board field of linguistic anthropology by examining the multifaceted meanings and uses of language. It emphasizes the ways in which language encapsulates speakers' meanings and intentions. Through language structure and language use, speakers convey messages about their own identities, their understandings of the world and their place in it. The book includes discussion of cultural and symbolic meanings conveyed by language and the social and political dimensions of language use. By using data, this book documents both similarities and differences in human language. New to this Edition: Introduction of the theme of intersectionalities, and the theme of discourse and texts Chapter 3: expansion of discussion on the re-examination of linguistic relativity. Chapter 5: expansion of discussion of how social stratification and racial differences can influence the way politeness is interpreted and the contextual expression of politeness. Chapter 6: oNew section on digital telephone technologies and innovative literacy practices using cell phones. oNew section on use of social media platforms with national and international statistics and practices. oExpansion of Deaf communities and controversy over cochlear implants. Chapter 8: New section on the inclusions and exclusions of Moroccan immigrant children in Spain through communicative interactions and norms. Chapter 9: oExpansion of section on race. oNew section on the covert expression of racist meanings. Chapter 10: oNew section on gendered speech in Lakhota oNew section on men's and women's speech in Yanyuwa, Australia oNew section on conversational style and the gendering of work places oNew section on language and sexuality Chapter 11: oUpdates on the distribution of languages worldwide oNew section on the development of the "American standard." Chapter 12: oExpansion of discussion of language and nation building. oExpansion of discussion of language shift and language revitalization programs. Chapter 13: expansion of social ideologies and prejudices expressed in public media.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781538114797 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 1538114798 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 9781538114803 (paperback ; alk. paper)
- 1538114801 (paperback ; alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: