American historical periodicals from the American Antiquarian Society
- English, Multiple languages. Primarily in English, with some content in multiple languages; website interface available in 34 languages.
- [Farmington Hills, Michigan] : Gale, a Cengage Company, 2018-
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : illustrations
- Series 1 (1691-1820)
- Series 2 (1821-1837)
- Series 3 (1838-1852)
- Series 4 (1853-1865)
- Series 5 (1866-1877)
- Series 6 (1878-1923).
- The AAS Historical Periodicals Collection contains more than 6,500 historical periodical titles dating from 1691 to 1877, arranged into five series. The collection represents over two centuries of print culture, ranging from early works imported by the colonists to later titles published on American soil on the eve of the Revolution and during the early republic. Subjects covered in the collection reach into every facet of American life, including science, literature, medicine, agriculture, women's fashion, family life, and religion. The five series can be searched simultaneously or individually. Series 1 covers 1691 through 1820. Series 2 includes 1000 titles from 1821 through 1837. The 1,700 titles in Series 3 date from 1838 through 1852, and document a growing young nation, where industrialization, the railroads, regional political differences, and life on the western frontier were daily realities. Series 4 contains 1,100 titles from 1853 to 1965, documenting the Civil War and daily life before and during the war. Series 5, with 2,500 titles from 1866 through 1877, documents life in a nation that persevered through a civil war; the incorporation of the recently-freed African Americans into American life; and a population that rapidly expanded into the Western territories.
- American periodicals > Databases.
- United States > History > Periodicals > Databases.
- United States > Civilization > Periodicals > Databases.
- United States > Politics and government > Periodicals > Databases.
- American periodicals.
- Politics and government.
- United States.
- Beginning date
- Title Variation
- Also known as: American historical periodicals series 1-6 digital archive
- Also known as: American Antiquarian Society historical periodicals collection
- Also known as: American historical periodicals series 1-6
- Vol/date range
- Began in 2018.
- "Gale Primary Sources."
- Content also hosted by EBSCO as the "American Antiquarian Society (AAS) historical periodicals collection" database.
- Related item
- Content also hosted by EBSCO as: American Antiquarian Society (AAS) historical periodicals collection. [Ipswich, MA] : EBSCO, [2009?]-