D. Catharinae Senensis Virginis SS. Ord. Praedicatorum vita ac miracula selectiora formis aeneis expressa
- Paris : Apud Thomas de Leu, [160-?]
- Physical description
- , 32 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 25 cm
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|MSS CODEX 1265||In process|
- Catherine, of Siena, Saint, 1347-1380 > Pictorial works.
- Latin literature > Translations into Catalan.
- Counter-Reformation > Spain > Catalonia > Books and reading.
- Piety > Spain > Catalonia > 17th century.
- Christian women saints > Biography > Early works to 1800.
- Catherine, of Siena, Saint, 1347-1380.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Divae Catharinae Senensis Virginis Sanctissimae Ordinis Praedicatorum vita ac miracula
- Vita ac miracula selectiora formis aeneis expressa
- 7 of 33 plates signed: Ian Swelinck.
- Engravings by Jan Swelinck after the 1603 Antwerp ed. published by Philip Galle, engraved by Cornelis Galle from drawings by Jan van der Straet and edited by Michel van Ophovens. The 1603 ed. was taken from the well-known pictorial life of Catherine originally published in 1597, entitled Vita, mors, gesta quaedam selecta B. Catharinae Senensis (based on Ryamond of Capua's work by the same title), engraved by Pieter de Jode from drawings by Francesco Vanni. Cf. Bianchi, Lidia. Caterina da Siena (Romae, 1980), p. 16; and, D. Catharinae Senensis Virginis S.S.mae Ord. Praedicatorum vita ac miracula ... (Roma, 1940), edited by Bianchi.
- 33 copper engravings of pictures from the life of St. Catherine, with engraved text below.
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 1: 33 leaves, each with a manuscript paraphrase of the Latin texts into Catalan. Binding: limp vellum. Imperfect: lacks title plate and plates 1, 9, 32, and 33.
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: