American education : a history
- Wayne J. Urban, Jennings L. Wagoner, Jr., and Milton Gaither.
- Sixth Edition.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 384 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
At the library
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA205 .U73 2019||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- About the Authors
- 1. Education in Precolonial America: Native American Cultural Traditions
- 2. Colonization and Cultural Transplantation: 1607-1776
- 3. Education and the Building of a New Nation: 1776-1830
- 4. The Common Man and the Common School: 1820-1860
- 5. Class, Caste, and Education in the South: 1800-1900
- 6. Beginning a Modern School System: 1865-1890
- 7. Organizing the Modern School System: Educational Reform in the Progressive Era, 1890-1915
- 8. Completing the Modern School System: American Education, 1915-1929
- 9. The Effects of Depression and War on American Education:1930-1946
- 10. Education During and After the Crucial Decade: 1945-1960
- 11. The Pursuit of Equality: 1960-1980
- 12. From Equality to Excellence: American Education, 1980-2000
- 13. American Education in the Twenty-First Century
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
American Education: A History, Sixth Edition is a comprehensive, highly regarded history of American education from precolonial times to the present. Chronologically organized, it provides an objective overview of each major period in the development of American education, setting the discussion against the broader backdrop of national and world events. In addition to its in-depth exploration of Native American traditions (including education) prior to colonization, it also offers strong, ongoing coverage of minorities and women. This much-anticipated sixth edition brings heightened attention to the history of education of individuals with disabilities, of classroom pedagogy and technology, of teachers and teacher leaders, and of educational developments and controversies of the twenty-first century.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- "First edition published by McGraw-Hill 1996"--Title page verso.
- "Fifth edition published by Routledge 2013"--Title page verso.
- 9781138387522 (hbk)
- 1138387525 (hbk)
- 9781138387577 (pbk)
- 1138387576 (pbk)
- 9780429426179 (ebk)
- 9780429760174 (ePub)
- 9780429760181 (PDF)
- 9780429760167 (Mobipocket)
Browse related items
Start at call number: