Leading schools to learn, grow, and thrive : using theory to strengthen practice
- S. David Brazer, Scott C. Bauer, and Bob L. Johnson, Jr.
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 258 pages : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ContentsList of Figures
- List of Tables
- Part 1 Understanding Organizations
- Chapter 1 Understanding Schools and Districts as Organizations
- Chapter 2 Schools as Open Systems: There's a Whole World Out There
- Chapter 3 School Leadership as Organized Anarchy: Taming the Untamable Beast
- Chapter 4 Organizational Learning
- Chapter 5 What Do Leaders Do?
- Part 2 Leading Schools
- Chapter 6 Transformational Leadership and Change
- Chapter 7 Leading Instruction
- Chapter 8 Leading With Others: Distributed Leadership and its Conceptual Ancestors
- Chapter 9 Epilogue: Where We Stand at This Moment.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Leading Schools to Learn, Grow, and Thrive provides a unique approach to preparing prospective education leaders by combining theory, research, and practice. Grounded in organizational and leadership theory, this book helps leaders understand their schools and districts from multiple perspectives and develop their own leadership aspirations, approaches, and missions. Well-known authors Brazer, Bauer, and Johnson present authentic practical problems, illuminate them with appropriate theory and research, and give readers opportunities to solve common puzzles as a means to grow wisdom about how to lead, especially when confronted with complex challenges. This book is an invaluable resource for aspiring leaders, one that readers will reference as they proceed through their leadership coursework and keep close at hand throughout their leadership career. Special Features: Vignettes-introduce the reader to real-life dilemmas that impact teaching and learning and provide a central reference point for discussions of theory, research, and practice. Theory and Research-frameworks and examples inform common leadership challenges, helping readers expand their knowledge and experience base to explore situations similar to their own contexts. Puzzles-real-world situations test knowledge and provide opportunities to practice ideas for effective leadership. Thought Partner Discussions (TPCs) and Extended Web Activities (EWAs)-additional thought activities, opportunities for reflection, and suggestions for discussion provoke puzzle solving. eResources-complementary resources for instructors and students, including a set of authentic role-playing scenarios.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781138039094 (hbk)
- 1138039098 (hbk)
- 9781138039100 (pbk)
- 1138039101 (pbk)
- 9781315176123 (ebk)
- 9781351708814 (Web PDF)
- 9781351708807 (ePUB)
- 9781351708791 (mobi/kindle)
Browse related items
Start at call number: