Africa in the twenty-first century : the promise of development and democratization
- edited by Gashawbeza W. Bekele and Adebayo Oyebade.
- Lanham : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 220 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- African governance and development.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 199-210) and index.
- Part 1: Governance, Democracy, And Development Chapter 1: African Development and Democratization Trajectories by Gashawbeza W. Bekele and Adebayo Oyebade Chapter 2: The Political Ecology of Sustainable Development in Africa by Tadesse Kidane-Mariam Chapter 3: Revisiting the Promise of Democracy and Development in Africa by Phillip E. Agbebaku, William E. Odion, and Mohammed Itakpe Chapter 4: Beyond the Millennium Development Goals: Localizing the Development Agenda in Nigeria by Funmi Adewumi Chapter 5: Fallacy of Development in Africa by Sunday Layi Oladipupo Chapter 6: Political Economy of Postcolonial Rail Transportation Development, Management, and Privatization in Africa South of the Sahara by Tokunbo A. Ayoola Part 2: Democratization, Democratic Institutions, and Uneven Regional Development Chapter 7: The Legislature and Tenure Elongation in African Presidential Democracies by Joseph Yinka Fashagba and Rotimi Ajayi Chapter 8: The African Diaspora and the Quest for Democracy in Africa: Revisiting the June 12 1993 Presidential Election in Nigeria by Udida A. Undiyaundeye Chapter 9: Bill of Rights for Africa: Uneven Regional Development and Indigenous Peoples Protests by R.T. Akinyele Part 3: Gender Relations, Healthcare, and Development Chapter 10: Vanishing or Emerging Voices? Nigerian Women and Political Participation by Ngozi U. Emeka-Nwobia Chapter 11: Women, Conflict, and Nigeria's Sustainable Development Agenda by Adaora Osondu-Oti Chapter 12: Gabon's Giant Step in Healthcare by Biale Zua.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781498564519 20190318
- Publisher's Summary
- This book interrogates contemporary debates, controversies, achievements, challenges, and future prospects of African development and democratization from varied theoretical perspectives. The diverse issues and sub-themes addressed in this volume include tenets of democracy such as democratization, democratic institutions, good governance, term limits, minority rights, and women's political participation; and dynamics of development such as economic growth, liberalization, development strategies and models, Millennium Development Goals, uneven regional development, sustainable development challenges, transport development and management, and health and development. Featuring established and emerging scholars, this book is a vital resource for scholars, policy makers, and students interested in African politics and development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781498564519 20190318
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Africa in the 21st century
- African governance and development
- 9781498564526 (ePub ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: