- [England?] : EMI Classics, ℗2008.
- Physical description
- 1 audio disc : digital ; 4 3/4 in.
- Herbert von Karajan : the complete EMI recordings; 1946 - 1984 ; v. 1, orchestral, CD 88.
At the library
SAL3 (off-campus storage)
For use in Music Library
|MCD 75691 CD88||In-library use|
- Headline preview: Strauss: Ein Heldenleben, with the Berliner Philharmoniker, commentary from Basil Tschaikov, Peter Alward, and Barbara Hendricks
- Introduction and Karajan's early years (from his conducting debut in 1929 to his first EMI recordings in Vienna in 1946)
- Wiener Philharmoniker, postwar: Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem, with the Singverein der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien
- Philharmonia Orchestra: Bartók: Music for strings, percussion and celesta, rehearsal of Bartók, Beethoven: Symphony no. 7, Respighi: Pines of Rome, commentary from John Meek, Leo Birnbaum, Hugh Maguire and Basil Tschaikov
- Philharmonia Orchestra, continued: Beethoven: Symphony no. 3, Debussy: La mer, Waldteufel: Les Patineurs, commentary from Hugh Bean, Arthur Wilson, John Meek, Basil Tschaikov
- Berliner Philharmoniker: Schumann: Symphony no. 4
- Berliner Philharmoniker, continued: Bruckner: Symphony no. 7, commentary from Peter Alward
- Opera: Verdi: Don Carlo, act two, scene two, with Jose Carreras (Don Carlo), Nicolai Ghiaurov (Flippo II), Piero Cappuccilli (Rodrigo), Barbara Hendricks (Voice from heaven), Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin and the Berliner Philharmoniker, commentary from José Carreras and Barbara Hendricks
- Opera continued: Verdi: Aida, act three, with Mirella Freni (Aida), and the Weiner Philharmoniker, Verdi: Otello, act one, with Mario Machi (Montano), Aldo Bottion (Cassio), Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin, and the Berliner Philharmoniker, commentary from Mirella Freni
- Opera continued: Debussy: Pelléas et Mélisande, act one, scene one and act two, scene two, with Jose van Dam (Golaud), Frederica von Stade (Mélisande), and the Berliner Philharmoniker, commentary from Peter Alward
- Commentary from Evgeny Kissin and conclusion
- Puccini: Manon Lescaut: Intermezzo, with the Philharmonia Orchestra.
- Publication date
- Herbert von Karajan : the complete EMI recordings; 1946 - 1984 ; v. 1, orchestral, CD 88
- "A centenary documentary which explores the career of Herbert von Karajan, with spoken contributions from distinguished musicians and authorities who know and worked with him, and extracts from some of the conductor's most acclaimed recordings."
- Compact disc.
- Berliner Philharmoniker ; Herbert von Karajan, conductor.
Browse related items
Start at call number: