Law and power in Russia : making sense of quasi-legal practices
- Håvard Bækken.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 227 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Routledge contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe series ; 88.
- Bækken, Håvard, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Law and power in authoritarian regimes : research and perspectives
- The Russian legal tradition
- The creation of a new quasi-legal order
- The politico-legal duality of Putinism
- Selective law enforcement as a mechanism enforcing informal rules
- Three issues of controversy
- A legal minefield : the role of laws in selective law enforcement
- Perceptions about political interference
- The impact of quasi-legal repression
- Concluding remarks.
This book explores the issue of selective law enforcement, arguing that the manipulation of the legal system by powerful insiders is a distinctive feature of Putinism, reflecting both its hybrid authoritarianism and Russian legal culture. Based on extensive research including interviews with the victims of selective law enforcement, the book analyses how selective law enforcement works in Russia, discusses the link between law and power, and relates the Russian situation to examples from elsewhere and to general legal theories and ideas of political hybridity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Police administration > Russia (Federation)
- Police power > Russia (Federation)
- Law > Russia (Federation)
- Power (Social sciences) > Russia (Federation)
- Sociological jurisprudence > Russia (Federation)
- Law enforcement > Russia (Federation)
- Russia (Federation) > Politics and government > 1991-
- Law enforcement.
- Police administration.
- Police power.
- Politics and government.
- Power (Social sciences)
- Sociological jurisprudence.
- Russia (Federation)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe series ; 88
- 9781138570887 hardcover
- 1138570885 hardcover
Browse related items
Start at call number: