Africa in transformation : economic development in the age of doubt
- Carlos Lopes.
- Cham, Switzerland : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 164 pages ; 21 cm
- Lopes, Carlos, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Reflecting on Africa's Contemporary Dynamics Chapter 2: Changing Politics Chapter 3: Respecting Diversity Chapter 4: Understanding Policy Space Chapter 5: Structural Transformation through Industrialisation Chapter 6: Increasing Agricultural Productivity Chapter 7: Revisiting the Social Contract Chapter 8: Adjusting to Climate Change Chapter 9: Inserting Agency in the Relations with China Chapter 10: Conclusions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9783030012908 20190304
- Publisher's Summary
- "Lopes brings his rigour, insight, and experience to this timely new book, presenting a compelling rethink of traditional development models in Africa and the need to seize on transformational change to build a sustainable future for the continent." -Kofi Annan, former United Nations Secretary General "Some readers will enjoy Lopes' eclectic brilliance and breath-taking culture. Others will salute his ability to bring compelling new angles to every topic. Everyone will be impressed with his craftsmanship, his rich and multi-faceted approach to development, and his high ethical standards. It is impossible to read this jewel book and not feel smarter." -Celestin Monga, African Development Bank's Vice President and Chief Economist "Drawing on his distinguished academic career, policy experience at the highest level, and deep love of the continent, Lopes provides a visionary analysis of Africa's current problems and future prospects. This book provides a highly unusual combination of intellectualism and hard-nosed pragmatism. A singular achievement." -Ha-Joon Chang, University of Cambridge, UK "Thorough, thought-provoking, and beyond rhetoric: definitely a must-read for anyone who wants to understand Africa's present and future." -Enrico Letta, former Prime Minister of Italy, Dean of the Paris School of International Affairs, Sciences Po, France Lopes delivers an overview of the critical development issues facing the African continent today. He offers readers a blueprint of policies to address issues, and an intense, heartfelt meditation on the meaning of economic development in the age of democratic doubts, identity crises, global fears and threatening issues of sustainability.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783030012908 20190304
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9783030012915 electronic bk.
- 3030012913 electronic bk.
Browse related items
Start at call number: