The letters of Alciphron : a unified literary work?
- edited by Michèle Biraud, Arnaud Zucker.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 275 pages : color illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Mnemosyne, bibliotheca classica Batava. Supplementum. Late antique literature.
- Mnemosyne, bibliotheca classica Batava. Supplementum ; 424.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -261) and indexes.
- Preface / Michèle Biraud and Arnaud Zucker-- Part 1. Structural perspectives. Chapter 1. On the structure of Alciphron's Letters / Émeline Marquis
- Chapter 2. Order and disorder in the Letters of Alciphron / A.D. Morrison
- Chapter 3. Time to eat : chronological connections in Alciphron's Letters of parasites / Emilia A. Barbiero
- Chapter 4. Echoes of stress-based rhythms in the Letters of fishermen : poetic, rhetoric and structural aspects / Michèle Biraud
- Part 2. Cultural issues and backgrounds. Chapter 5. Alciphron's reception of oral and literary traditions : mythological references and comparisons in Alciphron's Letters / Sophie Schoess
- Chapter 6. Women's voices : four or five women's letters by Alciphron / Onofrio Vox
- Chapter 7. The sea of Alciphron / Giuseppe Zanetto
- Chapter 8. Nostalgic authority : Alciphron's use of visual culture / Melissa Funke
- Part 3. Generic tensions and innovations. Chapter 9. Different forms of generic tension between epistolary precepts and progymnasmatic rhetoric in the Letters of Alciphron / Rafael J. Gallé Cejudo
- Chapter 10. Typecast? Speaking names in Alciphron / Owen Hodkinson
- Chapter 11. Laus vitae rusticae : conventionality, imitation, variation in the Letters of Alciphron / Anna Tiziana Drago
- Chapter 12. Close encounters with the hetaira : reading Alciphron's Book 4 / Yvonne Rösch.
In `The Letters of Alciphron: A Unified Literary Work?', Michele Biraud and Arnaud Zucker have gathered a dozen international contributions about the collection of letters of Alciphron, hitherto mainly studied as part of the epistolary genre at the time of the Second Sophistic or as testimony of a nostalgia for the Athens of Menander's time. The aim is to show the unity of a literary project through studies on the careful arrangement of each book (overall organization, coherent reappropriation of a culture, innovations in generic hybridization) and various elements of cohesion between the four books. For this purpose, were used as tools codicological criticism, stylistic and rhetorical examination, analysis of prosody, study of thematic treatments, uses of onomastics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Mnemosyne. Supplements. Late antique literature, 2214-5621 ; volume 424
- 9789004383357 ((hardback) : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: