Studies on variation in Portuguese
- edited by Pilar Barbosa, Maria da Conceição de Paiva and Celeste Rodrigues.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Publishing Company, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Issues in Hispanic and Lusophone linguistics ; Volume 14.
- Symposium on Variation in Portuguese (1st : 2014 : University of Minho)
- Barbosa, Pilar, editor.
- Paiva, Maria da Conceição de, editor.
- Rodrigues, Celeste, 1966- editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. The study of variation in Portuguese: Overview and outlook (by Barbosa, Pilar)--
- Part 1. Variation within national varieties of Portuguese--
- Chapter 1. Stressed vowels of European Portuguese in spontaneous speech (by Rato, Anabela)--
- Chapter 2. Glide insertion to break a hiatus across words in European Portuguese: The role of prosodic, geographic and sociolinguistic factors (by Oliveira, Pedro)--
- Chapter 3. Building a prosodic profile of European Portuguese varieties: The challenge of mapping intonation and rhythm (by Cruz, Marisa)--
- Chapter 4. The yes-no question contour in Brazilian Portuguese: A geographical continuum (by Castelo, Joelma)--
- Chapter 5. "Voces tenham cuidado, sois educadas para isso": Second person pronouns in Braga speech (by Aguiar, Joana)--
- Chapter 6. Variable use of strong preterites: A sociolinguistic and theoretical approach (by Barbosa, Pilar)--
- Chapter 7. Conditions on variation in pre-nominal possessives in European Portuguese (by Brito, Ana Maria)--
- Chapter 8. Clitic climbing in the speech of Braga and Lisbon (by Barbosa, Pilar)--
- Chapter 9. Linguistic and social embedding of variable concord with 1st plural nos 'we' in Brazilian Portuguese (by Naro, Anthony J.)--
- Chapter 10. Analyzing a parametric change in Brazilian Portuguese: A sociolinguistic investigation (by Duarte, Maria Eugenia L.)--
- Part 2. Variation across national varieties of Portuguese--
- Chapter 11. Agreement in Portuguese: Contributions from a research project (by Vieira, Silvia Rodrigues)--
- Chapter 12. The Portuguese inflected infinitive across varieties (by Fieis, Alexandra)--
- Chapter 13. Dative variation in the Portuguese of Sao Tome (by Goncalves, Rita)--
- Chapter 14. Simple past with pluperfect interpretation: Evidence from Brazilian and European spoken Portuguese (by Martins, Kellen Cozine).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Studies on Variation in Portuguese offers a collection of studies on a range of variable phenomena attested within and across varieties of Portuguese. The volume starts out with an overview of current issues in the study of intralinguistic variation and is divided in two parts. Part 1 is dedicated to research on variation within national varieties (Brazilian and European). Here, a multidimensional analysis that combines both the geographic and the social dimensions of variation emerges as a way to identify possible regional specificities and the directionality of some of the variants. Part 2 collects studies that compare the behavior of a particular linguistic variable across different varieties. The variable phenomena discussed concern several levels of grammar and are framed within different conceptions of variation, thus promoting confrontation of theoretical and methodological alternatives. Overall, the volume constitutes a significant contribution to the essential question of how to model variation at different levels.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Issues in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics, 2213-3887 ; Volume 14
- Based on the 1st Symposium on Variation in Portuguese, held at the University of Minho, Portugal, in April 2014.
- 9789027265142 (pdf)
- 9789027258137 (hardcover ; acid-free paper)