EarthEd : rethinking education on a changing planet
- Erik Assadourian, project director ; Erik Assadourian and Lisa Mastny, editors.
- text file; PDF.
- Washington, DC : Island Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (370 pages) : illustrations.
- State of the world.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- EarthEd: rethinking education on a changing planet / Erik Assadourian
- Outdoor school for all: reconnecting children to nature / David Sobel
- Ecoliteracy and schooling for sustainability / Michael K. Stone
- Education for the eighth fire: indigeneity and native ways of learning / Melissa K. Nelson
- Pathway to stewardship: a framework for children and youth / Jacob Rodenburg and Nicole Bell
- Growing a new school food culture / Luis Gonzalez Reyes
- The centrality of character education for creating and sustaining a just world / Marvin W. Berkowitz
- Social and emotional learning for a challenging century / Pamela Barker and Amy McConnell Franklin
- Prioritizing play / David Whitebread
- Looking the monster in the eye: drawing comics for sustainability / Marilyn Mehlmann with Esbjorn Jorsater, Alexander Mehlmann, and Olena Pometun
- Deeper learning and the future of education / Dennis McGrath and Monica M. Martinez
- All systems go! Developing a generation of "systems-smart" kids / Linda Booth Sweeney
- Reining in the commercialization of childhood / Josh Golin and Melissa Campbell
- Home economics education: preparation for a sustainable and healthy future / Helen Maguire and Amanda McCloat
- Our bodies, our future: expanding comprehensive sexuality education / Mona Kaidbey and Robert Engelman
- Suddenly more than academic: higher education for a post-growth world / Michael Maniates
- Bringing the classroom back to life / Jonathan Dawson and Hugo Oliveira
- Preparing vocational training for the eco-technical transition / Nancy Lee Wood
- Sustainability education in prisons: transforming lives, transforming the world / Joslyn Rose Trivett, Raquel Pinderhughes, Kelli Bush, Liliana Caughman, and Carri J. LeRoy
- Bringing the earth back into economics / Joshua Farley
- New times, new tools: agricultural education for the twenty-first century / Laura Lengnick
- Educating engineers for the anthropocene / Daniel Hoornweg, Nadine Ibrahim, and Chibulu Luo
- The evolving focus of business sustainability education / Andrew J. Hoffman
- Teaching doctors to care for patient and planet / Jessica Pierce
- The future of education: a glimpse from 2030 / Erik Assadourian.
Earth education is traditionally confined to specific topics: ecoliteracy, outdoor education, environmental science. But in the coming century, on track to be the warmest in human history, every aspect of human life will be affected by our changing planet. Emerging diseases, food shortages, drought, and waterlogged cities are just some of the unprecedented challenges that today's students will face. How do we prepare 9.5 billion people for life in the Anthropocene, to thrive in this uncharted and more chaotic future? Answers are being developed in universities, preschools, professional schools, and even prisons around the world. In the latest volume of State of the World, a diverse group of education experts share innovative approaches to teaching and learning in a new era. Topics include systems thinking for children; the importance of play in early education; social emotional learning; comprehensive sexuality education; indigenous knowledge; sustainable business; medical training to treat the whole person; teaching law in the Anthropocene; and more.EarthEd addresses schooling at all levels of development, from preschool to professional. Its lessons can inform teachers, policy makers, school administrators, community leaders, parents, and students alike. And its vision will inspire anyone who wants to prepare students not only for the storms ahead but to become the next generation of sustainability leaders.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title Variation
- Earth ed : rethinking education on a changing planet
- State of the World
- 9781610918435 (electronic book)
- 1610918436 (electronic book)
- 9781610918428 (paperback)
- 1610918428 (paperback)