Playing for equality : oral histories of women leaders in the early years of Title IX
- Diane LeBlanc and Allys Swanson.
- Copyright notice
- Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland & Company, Inc., 2016.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments; Preface; Introduction; 1; Catherine Allen; Family Influences and Accelerated Education; Early Career Teaching and National Attitudes Toward Females in Sport; Graduate School and World War II Recreation Work; Doctoral Studies with Legendary Physical Educators; On the Move: Mid-Career Administration; Expanding International Influence and Late-Career Administration; Reflecting on Work and Play; 2; Ruth Schellberg; Childhood Adventures; College and Early Career; Graduate School and New Career Goals; Vocation, Avocation and Leadership; 3; Celeste Ulrich.
- Childhood and the Value of WorkDiscovering Gender: Adolescence; College, Stereotypes and Forces to Be Reckoned With; Early Career and Mentors; Expanding Opportunities for Women in Sports; Title IX and Restructuring Women's Athletics; Higher Administration; Retirement and Reflection; 4; Fay Biles; Childhood and Family Influence; College Athletics & Leadership; Marriage and Graduate School; Professional Service and Doctorate; Fitness Research and Teaching with Technology; Leadership in an Era of Social Unrest; Rebuilding Kent State; Moving Forward: New Initiatives for Women; 5; Dorothy McIntyre.
- Midwestern RootsCollege and Vocation; The Road to Minnesota; Clearing the Road to Title IX; Connecting with the Minnesota State High School League; Working at the League; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Girls' Basketball and the Challenge of Equity; Maintaining Sport Opportunity through Title IX; Expanding Gender Equity in Sports; Regrets and Reflections; The Next Chapter; If It Is to Be, It Is Up to You; 6; Willye White; Early Childhood; Early Competition and the Olympic Games; Education and Employment; Post-Competition; Philosophy and Reflections; 7; Doris Corbett.
- Family and Early EducationCollege and Physical Education; Early Teaching Career and Graduate School; Title IX, Tension and Developing Leadership; International Voice and Vision; New Directions in Teaching, International Service and Research; Honors and Awards; Life Balance and Reflection; 8; Anita DeFrantz; Childhood and Early Influence; A Student-Athlete with an Olympic Dream; National Rowing Team and the 1976 Olympic Games; 1980s Olympic Boycott and Early Career Advocacy for Athletes' Rights; From Athlete to Administrator: LA84 and the IOC.
- Advocating for Women: Title IX and IOC Initiatives for WomenPeaks and Valleys of Late-Career Leadership; A Vision for the Future; Chapter Notes; Chapter 2; Chapter 3; Chapter 5; Chapter 6; References; List of Names and Terms.
- Publisher's summary
The right to participate in sports and competitive athletics is more than an issue of fair play-it's a matter of human rights. In 1972, Title IX of the Education Amendments became law, transforming sports opportunities for girls and women in the U.S. Based on oral histories, this book chronicles Title IX's passage and implementation through the stories of eight women physical educators, coaches, Olympic athletes and administrators. They recall the experience of being female in mid-20th century, the influential teachers and mentors, and their work creating recreation, sport and athletic opportunity. Their narratives reveal gender, race and class inequity in higher education and athletics and describe how women leaders worked through sports to make women's rights human rights.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Sex discrimination in sports > United States > History.
- Discrimination in education > Law and legislation > United States > History.
- Sex discrimination against women > Law and legislation > United States > History.
- LAW > Administrative Law & Regulatory Practice.
- Discrimination in education > Law and legislation.
- Sex discrimination against women > Law and legislation.
- Sex discrimination in sports.
- United States.
- Publication date
- 9781476626987 (electronic bk.)
- 1476626987 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: