Language Regulation in English as a Lingua Franca : Focus on Academic Spoken Discourse
- Berlin/Boston : De Gruyter, 2016.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (328 pages).
- Developments in English as a Lingua Franca DELF.
- Hynninen, Niina.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgements ; Contents ; 1 Introduction ; 1.1 Language regulation as a complex phenomenon ; 1.2 Defining ELF ; 1.2.1 Language users in their own right ; 1.2.2 Similar to dialect contact ; 1.3 English in Finnish higher education ; 1.4 Structure of the book.
- 2 Language regulation 2.1 Norms of language ; 2.1.1 Language norms as social norms ; 2.1.2 Related concepts ; 2.1.3 Normative beliefs vs. behaviour ; 2.1.4 Common vs. normative ; 2.2 Language regulation as the negotiation of living norms ; 2.2.1 Defining language regulation.
- 2.2.2 Prescriptive vs. living norms 2.2.3 Concept of community of practice ; 2.2.4 Norms and accommodation ; 2.3 Summary ; 3 Previous research on ELF and language regulation ; 3.1 ELF attitude studies ; 3.2 Descriptive ELF studies related to language regulation.
- 3.3 Studies on academic ELF 3.4 Studies on language regulation in different languages and in L1-L2 interaction ; 3.5 Summary ; 4 Exploring an academic ELF setting in Finland: the research site and methodology ; 4.1 Research site ; 4.2 Research questions.
- 4.3 Methodological framework: two dimensions of language regulation 4.3.1 The data ; 4.3.2 Methods of analysis ; 4.4 Summary ; 5 Language-regulatory practices ; 5.1 Language expert roles: who regulates language? ; 5.2 Kinds of regulation.
Language regulation has often been approached from a top-down policy perspective, whereas this book examines regulatory practices employed by speakers in interaction. With its ethnographically informed focus on language regulation in academic English as a lingua franca (ELF), the book is a timely contribution to debates about what counts as acceptable English in ELF contexts, who can act as language expert, and when regulation is needed.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Developments in English as a Lingua Franca [DELF] ; v. 9
- 5.2.1 Importance of mode: interactional commenting of speech vs. written texts.
- 9781614516705 (electronic bk.)
- 1614516707 (electronic bk.)
- 9781501500527 (epub)