Before Brasília : frontier life in central Brazil
- Mary C. Karasch.
- [First edition].
- Albuquerque : University of New Mexico Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Karasch, Mary C., 1943- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Front Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Contents; List of Illustrations; Acknowledgments; Introduction; PART ONE: Contacts and Conquests;
- 1: Into the "Heart of Brazil": Landscapes of Contact and Decimation;
- 2: The Indigenous Nations of Central Brazil;
- 3: Bandeiras and Entradas: The Invaders of Central Brazil;
- 4: Indigenous Warfare and Peacemaking; PART TWO: Colonial Society: Whites, Pardos, and Blacks;
- 5: "Good Order": Structures of Empire;
- 6: The White Propertied Elites of the Captaincy of Goiás;
- 7: "Masters of the Dance": Enslaved Africans and Crioulos.
- PART THREE: Points of Contact and Culture Change8: People of the Holy Spirit: Christians and Their Sacred Spaces;
- 9: Shadows in the Night: Women and Gender Relations;
- 10: Defenders of the Conquest and Useful Vassals: The Free People of Color; CONCLUSION: Reflections on Frontiers/Borderlands of Central Brazil; APPENDIX A: Indigenous Nations of Central Brazil; APPENDIX B : Censuses; APPENDIX C: Colonial Churches and Lay Brotherhoods in the Captaincy of Goiás; Glossary; Notes; Bibliography; Index; Back Cover.
- Before Brasília offers an in-depth exploration of life in the captaincy of Goiás during the late colonial and early national period of Brazilian history.
- Goiás (Brazil : State) > History > 19th century.
- Goiás (Brazil : State) > History > 18th century.
- Tocantins (Brazil) > History > 19th century.
- Tocantins (Brazil) > History > 20th century.
- Frontier and pioneer life > Brazil.
- Brazil > History > 1763-1822.
- Brazil > History > Empire, 1822-1889.
- HISTORY > Latin America > South America.
- Frontier and pioneer life.
- Brazil > Goiás (State)
- Brazil > Tocantins.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Frontier life in central Brazil
- 9780826357632 (electronic bk.)
- 0826357636 (electronic bk.)
- 9780826357625 (cloth ; alk. paper)