Narratives of exile and identity : Soviet deportation memoirs from the Baltic States
- edited by Violeta Davoliūte, Tomas Balkelis.
- Uniform Title
- Maps of memory.
- Budapest, Hungary ; New York, NY : Central European University Press, 2018.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xii, 220 pages)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Cover; Title page; Copyright page; Table of Contents; Illustrations; Acknowledgements; Foreword; Introduction; Part I: Experience of Deportation; A Soviet Story: Mass Deportation, Isolation, Return; Ethnicity and Identity in the Memoirs of Lithuanian Children Deported to the Gulag; Homeless Forever: Home and Homelessness among Deportees from Estonia; Official and Individual Perceptions: Squaring the History of Soviet Deportations with the Circle of Testimony in Latvia; Part II: Commemoration and Transference of the Memory of Deportation.
- Gendering "History of Fighting and Suffering": War and Deportation in the Narratives of Women Resistance Fighters in Lithuania"We Are All Deportees." The Trauma of Displacement and the Consolidation of National Identity during the Popular Movement in Lithuania; Hegemony or Grassroots Movement? The Musealization of Soviet Deportations; Breaking the Silence? Contradiction and Consistency in Representing Victimhood in Baltic Museums of Occupations; Bibliography; Index; List of Contributors; Back cover.
This collection of essays considers the Soviet-era gulag in the Baltic States within the broader international research on displacement and cultural memory.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- World War (1939-1945)
- World War, 1939-1945 > Deportations from Baltic States.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Personal narratives, Balts (Indo-European people)
- Deportees > Baltic States > Biography.
- Collective memory > Baltic States.
- Balts (Indo-European people) > Crimes against > Russia (Federation) > 20th century > History > Sources.
- Political persecution > Baltic States > 20th century > History > Sources.
- Political persecution > Russia (Federation) > 20th century > History > Sources.
- HISTORY > Europe > Western.
- HISTORY > Modern > 20th Century.
- Collective memory.
- Political persecution.
- Baltic States.
- Russia (Federation)
- Publication date
- Revised and expanded version of Maps of memory : trauma, identity and exile in deportation memoirs from the Baltic States.
- 9789633861844 (electronic book)
- 9633861845 (electronic book)
- 9789633861837 (hardcover alkaline paper)