Media localism : the policies of place
- Christopher Ali.
- Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- History of communication.
- Ali, Christopher, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I. Introducing localism
- Introduction: Where is here?
- Mapping the local
- Part II. Regulating localism
- The policies of localism: debates, dilemmas, and decisions in local television regulation
- The communities of localism: community television in the digital age
- The ecosystems of localism: a holistic approach to local news and information
- The solutions of localism: regulatory approaches to the crisis of local television
- Part III. Fixing localism
- The political economy of localism: critical regionalism and the policies of place
- Interventions in localism: from public goods to merit goods
- Conclusion: The right to be local?
- Appendix: An essay on method.
We live in a boosterish era that exhorts us to play local and buy local. But what does it mean to support local media? How should we define local media in the first place? Christopher Ali delves into our ideas about localism and their far-reaching repercussions for the discourse of federal media policy and regulation. His critique focuses on the new interest in localism among regulators in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. As he shows, the many different and often contradictory meanings of localism complicate efforts to study local voices. At the same time, market factors and regulators' unwillingness to critically examine local media blunt challenges to the status quo. Ali argues that reconciling the places where we live with the spaces we inhabit will point regulators toward effective policies that strengthens local media. That new approach will again elevate local media to its rightful place as a vital part of the public good.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Mass media policy > United States.
- Mass media policy > Great Britain.
- Mass media policy > Canada.
- Mass media > Law and legislation > United States.
- Mass media > Law and legislation > Great Britain.
- Mass media > Law and legislation > Canada.
- PSYCHOLOGY > Social Psychology.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > General.
- Mass media > Law and legislation.
- Mass media policy.
- Great Britain.
- United States.
- Publication date
- The history of communication
- 9780252099168 (electronic bk.)
- 0252099168 (electronic bk.)
- 9780252040726 (hardcover alkaline paper)