The letterbooks of John Evelyn
- edited by Douglas D.C. Chambers and David Galbraith.
- Uniform Title
- Correspondence. Selections
- Toronto [Ontario] : University of Toronto Press, 2014.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (2 volumes)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Illustrations List Preface Abbreviations Introduction Note on the Text Glossary Volume I * Add 78298 (Books I-III) * Liber I * Liber II * Liber III Volume II Add 78299 (Book IV) Evelyn's correspondents Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
A prolific author and founding member of the Royal Society, John Evelyn (1620-1706) was one of the most remarkable intellectuals in late seventeenth-century English society. While his diary has long been considered second only to that of Samuel Pepys in importance, until quite recently his papers were inaccessible to scholars. The Letterbooks of John Evelyn, a 2-volume collection of more than eight hundred letters selected by Evelyn himself, constitutes an essential new resource for scholars of seventeenth-century England. The two books in this set give modern readers access to Evelyn's correspondence with scientists and scholars such as Robert Boyle and Richard Bentley, political figures including Edward Hyde and Sidney Godolphin, and his friend and fellow diarist Samuel Pepys. They also include Evelyn's accounts of major events such as the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, the "Glorious Revolution" of 1688, and the founding and early history of the Royal Society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Evelyn, John, 1620-1706 > Correspondence.
- Evelyn, John, 1620-1706
- Great Britain > History > Stuarts, 1603-1714 > Sources.
- Great Britain > Social life and customs > 17th century > Sources.
- Diarists > Great Britain > Correspondence.
- Intellectuals > Great Britain > Correspondence.
- HISTORY > Europe > Great Britain.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY > Historical.
- Manners and customs.
- Great Britain.
- Publication date
- Winner of Ewart-Daveluy Indexing Award awarded by the Indexing Society of Canada 2016 (Canada)
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781442647862 20190204
- 9781442669390 (electronic bk.)
- 144266939X (electronic bk.)