The urban social history of the Middle East, 1750-1950
- edited by Peter Sluglett.
- First paperback edition.
- Syracuse, N.Y. : Syracuse University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xiv, 321 pages)
- Modern intellectual and political history of the Middle East.
- Sluglett, Peter, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Interdependent spaces : relations between the city and the countryside in the nineteenth century / Sarah D. Shields
- Political relations between city and state in the Middle East, 1700-1850 / Dina Rizk Khoury
- The economic organization of cities in Ottoman Syria / Abdul-Karim Rafeq
- Political relations between city and state in the colonial period / Leila Fawaz and Robert Ilbert
- The demography of cities and the expansion of urban space / Bernard Hourcade
- Moving out of place : minorities in Middle Eastern urban societies, 1800-1914 / Gudrun Krämer
- Urban social movements, 1750-1950 / Sami Zubaida.
The great cities of the Middle East and North Africa have long attracted the attention and interest of historians. With the discovery and wider use over the last few decades of the Islamic court records and Ottoman administrative documents, our knowledge of Middle Eastern cities between the seventeenth and early twentieth centuries has vastly expanded. Drawing upon a treasure trove of documents and using a variety of methodologies, the contributors succeed in providing a significant overview of the ways in which Middle Eastern cities can be studied, as well as an excellent introduction to current literature in the field.Islam has often been characterized as an 'urban religion'; recognizing Islam's deep ties to civic matters and to the city itself, the essays gathered here explore the interconnectedness between religion and its geography. The authors effectively define and map out urban social history in the Middle East from the eighteenth to twentieth centuries, affording us a foundational volume that enriches our understanding of society in the late Ottoman and colonial periods.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Modern intellectual and political history of the Middle East
- 9780815650638 (electronic bk.)
- 0815650639 (electronic bk.)