The sweet sixteen : the journey that inspired the Canadian Women's Press Club
- Linda Kay.
- data file.
- Montréal : McGill-Queen's University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xi, 228 pages) : illustrations, portraits
- Kay, Linda, 1951-2018.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Demanding Equal Rights
- The French Connection
- All Aboard
- Getting Acquainted
- Crossing the Border
- Meet Me in St Louis
- Down the Pike
- A Day of Rest
- The Boer War
- Farewell to the Fair
- A Presidential Convention
- A Club Is Born
- Winnipeg and Alberta, 1906
- The Rise and Fall
In 1904, sixteen women travelled together by train to cover the St Louis World's Fair. The Sweet Sixteen traces the fateful ten-day trip that resulted in the formation of a professional club for the advancement of Canadian newspaper women. Drawing upon letters, journals, interviews, and most significantly, newspaper stories written by the women themselves, Linda Kay narrates the journey to St Louis with evocative detail. Delving into the group dynamics and individual experiences of these women, Kay explores the cultural divide between the Anglophone and Francophone members of the group and provides compelling biographical sketches of each woman's life and work. The Sweet Sixteen documents the struggles of a group of tenacious and talented women who, in 1904, did not have the right to vote, were not regarded as persons under the law, and were credentialed as journalists at a time when marriage and motherhood were considered a woman's one true calling. Their legacy -the Canadian Women's Press Club - is a testament to their daring.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Canadian Women's Press Club > History.
- Canadian Women's Press Club > Histoire
- Canadian Women's Press Club.
- Women journalists > Canada > Biography.
- Women in journalism > Canada > History > 20th century.
- Women and journalism > Canada > History > 20th century.
- Femmes journalistes > Canada > Biographies
- Femmes en journalisme > Canada > Histoire > 20e siècle
- Femmes journalistes > Canada > Biographies.
- Femmes en journalisme > Canada > Histoire > 20e siècle.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY > General.
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES > Journalism.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Women's Studies.
- Women and journalism.
- Women in journalism.
- Women journalists.
- Publication date
- 9780773587168 (electronic bk.)
- 0773587160 (electronic bk.)