The struggle for equality : essays on sectional conflict, the Civil War, and the long reconstruction
- edited by Orville Vernon Burton, Jerald Podair, and Jennifer L. Weber.
- Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xiii, 306 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The radicalism of the abolitionists revisited : the case of the Society of Friends / Ryan P. Jordan
- Abolitionism as logical conclusion : General James S. Wadsworth as a case study in anti-Southern sentiment and the radicalizing experience of the Civil War / Judith A. Hunter
- Our man in Paris : John Meredith Read Jr. and the discontents of American republicanism, 1860-1896 / Philip M. Katz
- A dynamic for success and failure : discipline, cause, and comrades in the relationship between officers and enlisted men in Lee's army / Joseph T. Glatthaar
- All the president's men : the politicization of Union soldiers and how they saved Abraham Lincoln / Jennifer L. Weber
- Abraham Lincoln's last "stump speech" : September 3, 1863 / Ronald C. White Jr
- "The power of making me miserable" : Abraham Lincoln and race / Bruce Dain
- "Public women" and sexual politics during the American Civil War / Catherine Clinton
- Wendell Phillips and the idea of industrial democracy in early postbellum America / Brian Greenberg.
- The strange career of Jim Longstreet : history and contingency in the Civil War era / James K. Hogue
- The grasshopper plague, 1874-1878, and social welfare : the postbellum prospects for relief, recovery, and reform / Thomas C. Cox
- The wrongful court-martial and posthumous presidential pardon of Lieutenant Henry O. Flipper, USMA 1877 / Tom Carhart
- For god and lodge : black fraternal orders and the evolution of African American religion in the postbellum South / John M. Giggie
- Peddling the lost cause : a southern white woman at work / Michele Gillespie
- Race and municipal reform in the progressive era : the adoption of at-large elections in Norfolk, Virginia, 1914-1918 / Peyton McCrary
- School of a soldier : World War II as a transformative experience in the life of Dr. Joseph T. Taylor / Monroe H. Little
- An awful choice : Bayard Rustin and New York City's civil rights wars, 1968 / Jerald Podair.
This collection of essays, organized around the theme of the struggle for equality in the United States during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, also serves to honor the renowned Civil War historian James McPherson. Complete with a brief interview with the celebrated scholar, this volume reflects the best aspects of McPherson's work, while casting new light on the struggle that has served as the animating force of his lifetime of scholarship. With a chronological span from the 1830s to the 1960s, the contributions bear witness to the continuing vigor of the argument over equality. Contributors>: Orville Vernon Burton, Clemson University * Tom Carhart, Independent Scholar * Catherine Clinton, Queen's University Belfast * Thomas C. Cox, University of Southern California * Bruce Dain, University of Utah * John M. Giggie, University of Alabama * Michele Gillespie, Wake Forest University * Joseph T. Glatthaar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill * Brian Greenberg, Monmouth University * James K. Hogue, University of North Carolina, Charlotte * Judith A. Hunter, State University of New York, Geneseo * Ryan P. Jordan, University of San Diego * Philip M. Katz, American Association of Museums * Monroe H. Little, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis * Peyton McCrary, U.S. Department of Justice * Jerald Podair, Lawrence University * Jennifer L. Weber, University of Kansas * Ronald C. White Jr., University of California Los Angeles.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- American Civil War (1861-1865)
- Umschulungswerkstätten für Siedler und Auswanderer Bitterfeld
- Equality > United States > History.
- Social structure > United States > History.
- Social stratification > United States > History.
- Social classes > United States > History.
- United States > History > Civil War, 1861-1865 > Social aspects.
- United States > History > Civil War, 1861-1865 > Political aspects.
- African Americans > Civil rights > History.
- Women > United States > Social conditions.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Discrimination & Race Relations.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Minority Studies.
- HISTORY > United States > Civil War Period (1850-1877)
- African Americans > Civil rights.
- Social aspects.
- Social classes.
- Social stratification.
- Social structure.
- Women > Social conditions.
- United States.
- Sezessionskrieg 1861-1865
- Publication date
- 9780813931777 (electronic bk.)
- 0813931770 (electronic bk.)