Gentile New York : the images of non-Jews among Jewish immigrants
- Gil Ribak.
- data file.
- New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers University Press, ©2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xi, 292 pages) : illustrations
- Ribak, Gil.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
The very question of 'what do Jews think about the goyim' has fascinated Jews and Gentiles, anti-Semites and philo-Semites alike. Much has been written about immigrant Jews in nineteenth- and twentieth-century New York City, but Gil Ribak's critical look at the origins of Jewish liberalism in America provides a more complicated and nuanced picture of the Americanization process. Gentile New York examines these newcomers' evolving feelings toward non-Jews through four critical decades in the American Jewish experience. Ribak considers how they perceived Gentiles in general as well as such different groups as 'Yankees' (a common term for WASPs in many Yiddish sources), Germans, Irish, Italians, Poles, and African Americans. As they discovered the complexity of America's racial relations, the immigrants found themselves at odds with 'white' American values or behavior and were drawn instead into cooperative relationships with other minorities. Sparked with many previously unknown anecdotes, quotations, and events, Ribak's research relies on an impressive number of memoirs, autobiographies, novels, newspapers, and journals culled from both sides of the Atlantic.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Umschulungswerkstätten für Siedler und Auswanderer Bitterfeld
- Jews > New York (State) > New York > Attitudes.
- Gentiles > Public opinion.
- Public opinion > New York (State) > New York.
- Immigrants > New York (State) > New York > Attitudes.
- Jews > New York (State) > New York > History > 19th century.
- Jews > New York (State) > New York > History > 20th century.
- New York (N.Y.) > Ethnic relations.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Anthropology > Cultural.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Discrimination & Race Relations.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Ethnic Studies > General.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Minority Studies.
- HISTORY > United States > General.
- Ethnic relations
- Immigrants > Attitudes
- Jews > Attitudes
- Public opinion
- New York (State) > New York
- Öffentliche Meinung
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Images of non-Jews among Jewish immigrants
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2011.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2011 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 0813552192 (electronic bk.)
- 9780813552194 (electronic bk.)
- 9780813551647 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 0813551641 (hardcover ; alk. paper)