Sedges : Carex
- Robert H. Mohlenbrock ; illustrated by Paul W. Nelson.
- 2nd ed.
- Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xvii, 429 pages) : illustrations, maps.
- Illustrated flora of Illinois.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Cover; Flaps; Book Title; Copyright Page; Contents; List of Illustrations; Preface to the Second Edition; Preface to the First Edition; Acknowledgments; County Map of Illinois; Introduction; Key to the Genera of Cyperaceae in Illinois; Key to the Species of Carex in Illinois; Descriptions and Illustrations; Appendix: Additions and Changes to the First Edition; Key to the Species of Carex in Illinois; Excluded Species; Glossary; Literature Cited; Index of Plant Names; Author Bio; Back Cover.
Sedges: Carex is the fourteenth volume of the Illustrated Flora of Illinois series and the sixth and last volume devoted to monocots-plants that have a single seed leaf, or cotyledon, upon germination. Since the volume's original publication in 1999, thirty-four additional species of plants have been recognized in Illinois. Some are discoveries from recent field work, some are from more thorough searches of herbaria, and others are from different taxonomic philosophies. For each species of Carex in Illinois, there is a full illustration showing the habit of the plant and close-ups of various vegetative and reproductive structures that are crucial for the identification of the individual species. There is also a complete description of each species as well as a detailed discussion of the nomenclature and habitats. Range maps show the county distribution of each species in Illinois. A new and detailed key is provided for identification of the species.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Carex > Illinois > Identification.
- Carex > Illinois > Geographical distribution.
- Cyperaceae > Illinois > Identification.
- Cyperaceae > Illinois > Geographical distribution.
- Botany > Illinois.
- NATURE > Plants > General.
- Cyperaceae > Geographical distribution.
- Field guides.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- The illustrated flora of Illinois
- First ed. published 1999.
- 9780809386277 (electronic bk.)
- 0809386275 (electronic bk.)