Strategies for survival : recollections of bondage in Antebellum Virginia
- William Dusinberre.
- Charlottesville : University of Virginia Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (x, 251 pages) : maps.
- Carter G. Woodson Institute series.
- Dusinberre, William, 1930-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- pt. I. Alleviations
- Good mistresses and masters
- Mixed-race ancestry and long-term relationships
- Cities and industry
- pt. II. Offenses
- Family disruption
- Physical abuse
- pt. III. Responses
- The Black community
- pt. IV. Retrospect
- Oppression and self-determination.
Strategies for Survival conveys the experience of bondage through the words of former slaves themselves. The interviews - conducted in Virginia in 1937 by WPA interviewers - are considered among the most valuable of the WPA interviews because in Virginia the interviewers were almost all African Americans; thus, the interviewees almost certainly spoke more frankly than they would otherwise have done. Dusinberre uses the interviews to assess the strategies by which slaves sought to survive, despite the severe constrictions bondage imposed upon their lives. Religion and escape were common means of coping with the indignity of family disruption, contempt, and the harsh realities of slavery. However, while Dusinberre recognizes the creativity and variety of slaves' responses to oppression, he acknowledges the dispiriting realities of the limits of slave resistance and agency.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Slaves > Virginia > Social conditions > 19th century.
- Slaves > Virginia > Biography.
- African Americans > Virginia > Interviews.
- Agent (Philosophy) > Case studies.
- Slavery > Virginia > History > 19th century.
- Virginia > Race relations > History > 19th century.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Slavery.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Ethnic Studies > African American Studies.
- African Americans.
- Agent (Philosophy)
- Race relations.
- Slaves > Social conditions.
- Publication date
- Carter G. Woodson Institute series
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9780813928364 (electronic bk.)
- 0813928362 (electronic bk.)