Contemporary African fashion
- edited by Suzanne Gott and Kristyne Loughran ; foreword by Joanne B. Eicher.
- English. English.
- data file.
- Bloomington, IN : Indiana University Press, ©2010.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xvii, 228 pages) : illustrations (chiefly color).
- African expressive cultures.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Foreword by Joanne B. Eicher Acknowledgments Introduction / Suzanne Gott and Kristyne Loughran
- Part 1. Fashion within the African Continent
- 1. The Ghanaian Kaba: Fashion That Sustains Culture / Suzanne Gott
- 2. The Visual City: Tailors, Creativity, and Urban Life in Dakar, Senegal / Joanna Grabski
- 3. Secondhand Clothing and Fashion in Africa / Karen Tranberg Hansen
- 4. Fashion, Not Weather: A Rural Primer of Style / Elisabeth L. Cameron
- 5. Contemporary Wedding Fashions in Lagos, Nigeria / Elisha P. Renne
- Part 2. African Fashion Designers
- 6. African Fashion: Design, Identity, and History / Victoria L. Rovine
- 7. Using the Past to Sculpt the Costume of the Future: An Interview with Kandioura Coulibaly / Janet Goldner
- 8. Intersecting Creativities: Oumou Sy's Costumes in the Dakar Landscape / Hudita Nura Mustafa
- 9. From Cemetery to Runway: Dress and Identity in Highland Madagascar / Rebecca L. Green
- Part 3. African Fashion in the Diaspora
- 10. La Sape Exposed! High Fashion among Lower-Class Congolese Youth: From Colonial Modernity to Global Cosmopolitanism / Didier Gondola
- 11. Have Cloth--Will Travel / Kristyne Loughran
- 12. Dressing Somali (Some Assembly Required) / Heather Marie Akou
- 13. Translating African Textiles into U.S. Fashion Design: Brenda Winstead and Damali Afrikan Wear / Leslie W. Rabine Further Readings List of Contributing Authors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
African fashion is as diverse and dynamic as the continent and the people who live there. While experts have long recognized the importance of clothing as a marker of ethnic identity, life stages, political affiliation, and social class, they have only just begun to discover African fashion. Contemporary African Fashion puts Africa at the intersection of world cultures and globalized identities, displaying the powerful creative force and impact of newly emerging styles. Richly illustrated with color photographs, this book showcases haute couture for the African continent. The visual impact of fashion created and worn today in Africa comes to life here, beautifully and brilliantly.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- African expressive cultures
- 9780253001405 (electronic bk.)
- 0253001404 (electronic bk.)