Arab France : Islam and the making of modern Europe, 1798-1831
- Ian Coller.
- data file.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, ©2011.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xi, 288 pages) : illustrations
- Coller, Ian, 1968-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Introduction
- 1. A Rough Crossing
- 2. Ports of Call
- 3. The Making of Arab Paris
- 4. Policing Orientalism
- 5. Massacre and Restoration
- 6. Cosmopolitanism and Confusion
- 7. Remaking Arab France
- 8. The Cathedral and the Mosque Conclusion Notes Selected Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Many think of Muslims in Europe as a twentieth century phenomenon, but this book brings to life a lost community of Arabs who lived through war, revolution, and empire in early nineteenth century France. Ian Coller uncovers the surprising story of the several hundred men, women, and children - Egyptians, Syrians, Greeks, and others - who followed the French army back home after Napoleon's occupation of Egypt. Based on research in neglected archives, on the rediscovery of forgotten Franco-Arab authors, and on a diverse collection of visual materials, the book builds a rich picture of the first Arab France - its birth, rise, and sudden decline in the age of colonial expansion. As he excavates a community that was nearly erased from the historical record, Coller offers a new account of France itself in this pivotal period, one that transcends the binary framework through which we too often view history by revealing the deep roots of exchange between Europe and the Muslim world, and showing how Arab France was in fact integral to the dawn of modernity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- France > Foreign relations > Arab countries.
- Arab countries > Foreign relations > France.
- France > Foreign relations > Africa, North.
- Africa, North > Foreign relations > France.
- Asianists > France > History > 19th century.
- Islam and politics.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Anthropology > Cultural.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Discrimination & Race Relations.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Minority Studies.
- RELIGION > Islam > General.
- Diplomatic relations.
- Islam and politics.
- Africa, North.
- Arab countries.
- Publication date
- 9780520947542 (electronic bk.)
- 0520947541 (electronic bk.)