Hemispheric American studies
- edited by Caroline F. Levander and Robert S. Levine.
- English. English.
- data file.
- New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers University Press, ©2008.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (vii, 356 pages) : illustrations
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Hemispheric Jamestown / Anna Brickhouse
- Hemispheric genealogies of "race" : creolization and the cultural geography of colonial difference across the eighteenth-century Americas / Ralph Bauer
- "Famosa Filadelfia" : the hemispheric American city and constitutional debates / Rodrigo Lazo
- Other country : Mexico, the United States, and the gothic history of conquest / Jesse Alemán
- American Mediterranean : Haiti, Cuba, and the American South / Matthew Pratt Guterl
- Expropriating the Great South and exporting "local color" : global and hemispheric imaginaries of the of the first reconstruction / Jennifer Rae Greeson
- Mercurial space of "Central" America : New Orleans, Honduras, and the writing of the Banana Republic / Kirsten Silva Gruesz
- "I'm the everybody who's nobody" : genealogies of the New World slave in Paul Robeson's performances of the 1930s / Michelle A. Stephens
- Promises and perils of U.S. African American hemispherism : Latin America in Martin Delany's Blake and Gayl Jones's Mosquito / Ifeoma C.K. Nwankwo
- PEN and the sword : U.S.-Latin American cultural diplomacy and the 1966 PEN Club Congress / Deborah Cohn
- Hemispheric routes of "El Nuevo Arte Nuestro" : the Pan American Union, cultural policy, and the Cold War / Claire F. Fox
- Memín Pinguín, rumba, and racism : Afro-Mexicans in classic comics and film / Robert McKee Irwin
- "Out of this world" : Islamic irruptions in the literary Americas / Timothy Marr
- Of hemispheres and other spheres : navigating Karen Tei Yamashitaʹs literary world / Kandice Chuh
- Northern borderlands and Latino Canadian diaspora / Rachel Adams
- Afterword : the times of hemispheric studies / Susan Gillman.
- This landmark collection brings together a range of exciting new comparative work in the burgeoning field of hemispheric studies. Scholars working in the fields of Latin American studies, Asian American studies, American studies, American literature, African Diaspora studies, and comparative literature address the urgent question of how scholars might reframe disciplinary boundaries within the broad area of what is generally called American studies. With essays that examine stamps, cartoons, novels, film, art, music, travel documents, and governmental publications, Hemispheric American Studies.
- Migrations of nations.
- Ethnic groups in literature.
- American literature > History and criticism.
- Latin American literature > History and criticism.
- America > Civilization.
- America > Study and teaching (Higher)
- Western Hemisphere > Study and teaching (Higher)
- United States > Study and teaching (Higher)
- America > Race relations.
- America > Intellectual life.
- HISTORY > Americas (North, Central, South, West Indies)
- HISTORY > North America.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Anthropology > Cultural.
- American literature
- Ethnic groups in literature
- Intellectual life
- Latin American literature
- Migrations of nations
- Race relations
- United States
- Western Hemisphere
- Kulturkontakt Motiv
- Literaturgeschichte Fach
- Rassenbeziehung <Motiv>
- Lateinamerika <Motiv>
- Publication date
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 0813543878 (electronic bk.)
- 9780813543871 (electronic bk.)
- 9780813542225 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 0813542227 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- 9780813542232 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 0813542235 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- 0813541972 (Cloth)
- 0813541980 (Paper)