An African republic : Black & White Virginians in the making of Liberia
- Marie Tyler-McGraw.
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, ©2007.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xi, 249 pages) : illustrations, map.
- John Hope Franklin series in African American history and culture.
- Tyler-McGraw, Marie.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 227-232) and index.
- A small frisson of fear, soon soothed
- The alchemy of colonization
- Auxiliary arms
- Ho, all ye that are by the pale-faces' law oppressed: out of Virginia
- My old mistress promise me
- Revising the future in Virginia
- Virginians in Liberia
- Liberians in Africa and America
- Civil War to white city.
- An African Republic follows the experiences of the emigrants from Virginia to Liberia, where some became the leadership class, consciously seeking to demonstrate black abilities, while others found greater hardship and early death. Tyler-McGraw carefully examines the tensions between racial identities, domestic visions, and republican citizenship in Virginia and Liberia. --from publisher description.
- American Colonization Society > History.
- American Colonization Society.
- American Colonization Society
- African Americans > Colonization > Liberia.
- Liberia > History > To 1847.
- Liberia > History > 1847-1944.
- African Americans > Virginia > History > 19th century.
- Free African Americans > Virginia > History > 19th century.
- Whites > Virginia > History > 19th century.
- Liberia > Emigration and immigration > History > 19th century.
- Virginia > Emigration and immigration > History > 19th century.
- Virginia > Race relations > History > 19th century.
- HISTORY > Africa > West.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Ethnic Studies > African American Studies.
- African Americans.
- African Americans > Colonization.
- Emigration and immigration.
- Free African Americans.
- Race relations.
- Politieke onafhankelijkheid.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Black and White Virginians in the making of Liberia
- The John Hope Franklin series in African American history and culture
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2010.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2010 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9780807867785 (electronic bk.)
- 0807867780 (electronic bk.)
- 9781469604718 (electronic bk.)
- 146960471X (electronic bk.)
- 9780807831670 (cloth ; alk. paper)
- 0807831670 (cloth ; alk. paper)