The Holocaust encyclopedia
- Walter Laqueur, editor ; Judith Tydor Baumel, associate editor.
- English. English.
- data file
- New Haven : Yale University Press, ©2001.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xxxix, 765 pages) : illustrations, maps
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 721-735) and index.
- In Place of a Preface
- List of Abbreviations and Acronyms
- The Holocaust Encyclopedia
- Bibliographical Essay
- Publisher's summary
The Holocaust has been the subject of countless books, works of art, and memorials. Fifty-five years after the fact the world still ponders the enormity of this disaster. The Holocaust Encyclopedia is the only comprehensive single-volume work of reference providing both a reflective overview of the subject and abundant detail concerning major events, policy decisions, cities, and individuals. Up-to-date and designed for easy access, the encyclopedia presents information on the major aspects of the Holocaust in essays by scholars from eleven countries who draw on a number of sources-including recently uncovered evidence from the former Soviet bloc-to provide in-depth studies on the political, social, religious, and moral issues of the Holocaust as well as short entries identifying events, sites, and individuals. The book also has more than 250 photographs, many of them rare, and 19 maps. The volume includes: * Raul Hilberg on concentration camps and Gypsies * Ruth Bondy, Israel Gutman, and Dina Porat on major ghettoes * Roger Greenspun on the Holocaust in cinema and television * Richard Breitman on American policy * Michael Berenbaum on theological and philosophical responses * Saul Friedlander on Nazi policy * Michael Hagemeister on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion * Michael R. Marrus on historiography * Christopher R. Browning on the Madagascar Plan * Robert S. Wistrich on Holocaust denial * James E. Young on Holocaust literature.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) > Encyclopedias.
- World War, 1939-1945 > Atrocities > Encyclopedias.
- Holocauste, 1939-1945 > Encyclopédies.
- Guerre mondiale, 1939-1945 > Atrocités > Encyclopédies.
- HISTORY > Holocaust.
- World War (1939-1945)
- Jewish Holocaust (1939-1945)
- Publication date
- 9780300138115 (electronic bk.)
- 0300138113 (electronic bk.)
- 0300084323 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: