Reflections on the revolution in France
- Edmund Burke ; edited by Frank M. Turner ; with essays by Darrin M. McMahon [and others].
- data file.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xliii, 322 pages).
- Rethinking the Western tradition.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 291-292) and index.
- Introduction : Edmund Burke, the political actor thinking / Frank M. Turner
- Reflections on the revolution in France / Edmund Burke
- Edmund Burke: prophet against the tyranny of the politics of theory / Conor Cruise O'Brien
- Edmund Burke and the literary cabal: a tale of two enlightenments / Darrin M. McMahon
- Why American constitutionalism worked / Jack N. Rakove
- Democracy, social science, and rationality: reflections on Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France / Alan Wolfe.
"Reflections on the Revolution in France" was written in 1790 and has remained in print ever since. Edmund Burke's analysis of revolutionary change established him as the chief framer of modern European conservative political thought. This new edition of the "Reflections" presents Burke's famous text along with a historical introduction by Frank Turner and four critical essays by leading scholars. The volume sets the "Reflections" in the context of Western political thought, highlights its ongoing relevance to contemporary debates, and provides abundant critical notes, a glossary and a glossary-index to ensure its accessibility. Contributors to the book examine various provocative aspects of Burke's thought. Conor Cruise O'Brien explores Burke's hostility to "theory", Darrin McMahon considers Burke's characterization of the French Enlightenment, Jack Rakove contrasts the views of Burke and American constitutional framers on the process of drawing up constitutions, and Alan Wolfe investigates Burke, the social sciences, and liberal democracy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797 > Correspondence.
- Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797. Reflections on the Revolution in France.
- Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797.
- Revolution (France : 1789-1799)
- Reflections on the revolution in France (Burke, Edmund)
- Burke, Edmund (Politiker). Reflections on the revolution in France, and on the proceedings on certain societies in London relative to that event.
- Public opinion > Great Britain > History > 18th century.
- France > History > Revolution, 1789-1799 > Foreign public opinion, British.
- HISTORY > Europe > France.
- Public opinion.
- Public opinion, British.
- Great Britain.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Rethinking the western tradition
- Use copy Restrictions unspecified
- Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2011.
- Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002. http://purl.oclc.org/DLF/benchrepro0212
- Action note
- digitized 2011 HathiTrust Digital Library committed to preserve
- 9780300134865 (electronic book)
- 030013486X (electronic book)
- 9780300099782 (cloth)
- 0300099789 (cloth)
- 9780300099799 (paperback)
- 0300099797 (paperback)