No there there : race, class, and political community in Oakland
- Chris Rhomberg.
- English. English.
- data file.
- Berkeley : University of California Press, ©2004.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xiii, 315 pages, 24 unnumbered pages of plates) : illustrations, maps
- Rhomberg, Chris, 1959-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 209-292) and index.
- List of Maps Preface and Acknowledgments
- 1. No There There: Social Movements and Urban Political Community
- 2. Corporate Power and Ethnic Patronage: Machine Politics in Oakland
- 3. The Making of a White Middle Class: The Ku Klux Klan and Urban Reform
- 4. Economic Crisis and Class Hegemony: The Rule of Downtown
- 5. Working-Class Collective Agency: The General Strike and Labor Insurgency
- 6. Reconstituting the Urban Regime: Redevelopment and the Central City
- 7. Bureaucratic Insulation and Racial Conflict: The Challenge of Black Power
- 8. From Social Movements to Social Change: Oakland and Twentieth-Century Urban America Methodological Appendix: Telling Stories about Actors and Events Notes Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Challenged by Ku Klux Klan action in the '20s, labor protests culminating in a general strike in the '40s, and the rise of the civil rights and black power struggles of the '60s, Oakland, California, seems to encapsulate in one city the broad and varied sweep of urban social movements in twentieth-century America. Taking Oakland as a case study of urban politics and society in the United States, Chris Rhomberg examines the city's successive episodes of popular insurgency for what they can tell us about critical discontinuities in the American experience of urban political community.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- ) > History > 20th century.
- Ku Klux Klan (1915- )
- African Americans > Civil rights > California > Oakland > History > 20th century.
- Black power > California > Oakland > History > 20th century.
- Social classes > California > Oakland > History > 20th century.
- General strikes > California > Oakland > History > 20th century.
- Social conflict > California > Oakland > History > 20th century.
- Oakland (Calif.) > Race relations.
- Oakland (Calif.) > Politics and government > 20th century.
- Oakland (Calif.) > Social conditions > 20th century.
- HISTORY > State & Local > General.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Discrimination & Race Relations.
- African Americans > Civil rights.
- Black power.
- General strikes.
- Politics and government.
- Race relations.
- Social classes.
- Social conditions.
- Social conflict.
- California > Oakland.
- Publication date
- 9780520940888 (electronic bk.)
- 0520940881 (electronic bk.)
- 1417525487 (electronic bk.)
- 9781417525485 (electronic bk.)